Ooooops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smatt

Reaction score
:eek: So in the mist of kids running around and the dog going nuts wile batch priming my 12th brew kit (wilko cerveza) afterfermentation
I went and dumped 1kg of sugar in like a clown rushing!

so I obviously modified one of my lids for the pressure barrel to hold an airlock quicklyto let it firmest out.....

now question time....:

1 how will this affect the finished product

2 if lest say after 1 week of ferment can I swap the lid back to my standard pressure barrel lid to start carbonation in the 2nd week of the fermentation

not forgetting that I have already fermented 1kg of sugar and like an idiot rushing I put another 1kg in to prime by mistakeaheadbutt

:eek: So in the mist of kids running around and the dog going nuts wile batch priming my 12th brew kit (wilko cerveza) afterfermentation
I went and dumped 1kg of sugar in like a clown rushing!

so I obviously modified one of my lids for the pressure barrel to hold an airlock quicklyto let it firmest out.....

now question time....:

1 how will this affect the finished product

2 if lest say after 1 week of ferment can I swap the lid back to my standard pressure barrel lid to start carbonation in the 2nd week of the fermentation

not forgetting that I have already fermented 1kg of sugar and like an idiot rushing I put another 1kg in to prime by mistakeaheadbutt
i'd bung in another teaspoon of yeast or two also.

I find that fermenting out neat sugar produces a very sharp, strong, headachey alcohol. It'll ferment out if you give it the chance, then when it starts to settle down remove the airlock to provide dispensing pressure in the barrel. As @Cwrw666 says, mind your head!

Did you dissolve the sugar? If not, you can empty the barrel and the sugar will still be in the bottom; rinse it away and try again.

No I did not dissolve the sugar but it was done yesterday morning :hat:

It's gonna be like special brew!
Let it ferment out completely then prime properly. Hopefully the yeast can cope with the extra alcohol.

ps. watch your head! It's gonna hurt after a couple of them...
Oh no this was meant to be my Xmas brew hahaha not going to be good for the mornings then

I find that fermenting out neat sugar produces a very sharp, strong, headachey alcohol. It'll ferment out if you give it the chance, then when it starts to settle down remove the airlock to provide dispensing pressure in the barrel. As @Cwrw666 says, mind your head!
Would you say a week would be enough time for this?

Give it a week and see how the airlock looks in terms of activity.

I've done plenty of DIPAs with going on for a kilo of sugar in there to raise the starting gravity with good outcomes, and it's common in Belgian strong ales too so it'll still be drinkable for sure but as someone has already said it's going to be a sipper not a guzzler if you have plans the day after drinking it!

Back