Out of date grains and hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
I've just found a load of unused grains and hops which have past their Use By date - theyve been stored in a sealed plastic box.

Hops - still in unopened foil vacuum packs - but dated 2008 - bin them?
Grains - MO Malt - 3kg unopened plastic bag, similar with flaked barley, choc malt etc - date 2006.

Seems a shame but I am guessing that it isnt worth the effort/electric using these and I should give the birds an autumn treat...?!

:roll:

even tho still vacuum sealed I think 6 years is a bit too long a time. Especially if your going to spend time on making a good brew it would be a shame to be let down by poor flavourings. The grain may be ok if not showing any visable signs of mould or dampness etc. were they crushed or whole.... if whole no problem if already crushed I wouldn't bother keeping

Feed the birds.....feed the birds

feed the birds, £25 a bag, £25, £25, £25 a bag.. mary poppins song taking inflation into account.

The hops would probably have been fine.
There was another thread on here about old hops.
I had some that were well over 8 years old, in silver/gold vac packs. I used a WHOLE 100g (instead of 45g) for bittering and had to leave it for 6 months to be able to drink it.

"I used a WHOLE 100g (instead of 45g) for bittering and had to leave it for 6 months to be able to drink it."

The expression bugger that springs to mind! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back