Over night mash..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At what point is it important for the mash temp to be correct? If it's just to get changes then once it's changed it doesn't matter if the temperature drops? So if it's ok at beginning then the long time is more for convenience? I find that it is still worth it I think

At what point is it important for the mash temp to be correct? If it's just to get changes then once it's changed it doesn't matter if the temperature drops? So if it's ok at beginning then the long time is more for convenience? I find that it is still worth it I think

I have read somewhere, and I cant remember where that it is important to keep the temp above 50 as otherwise there can be some bacterial growth which will give off flavours regardless of boiling after.

Recipe asks for 67...I usually dough in at around 79 which accounts for the grain temp...
Wouldn't an hour plus at 65 plus pasteurise it?

Last edited:
Recipe asks for 67...I usually dough in at around 79 which accounts for the grain temp...
Wouldn't an hour plus at 65 plus pasteurise it?

You may want to consider going a bit higher to account for temp loss of such a long mash. The adjust for the loss (now that you know what it will be)the next time you do an ONM

Yeah...I had a look on Bruloshophy and there wasn't a huge difference in the final beer but infection was mentioned as possible...at least my mash water is treated and grains weighed out and some equipment is ready. It should save me at least half hour there..

Yeah...I had a look on Bruloshophy and there wasn't a huge difference in the final beer but infection was mentioned as possible...at least my mash water is treated and grains weighed out and some equipment is ready. It should save me at least half hour there..

Im pretty sure infection was the reason I started mine of at 70C rather than anything to do with difference in quality

I've done several with no problems and one time the fuse tripped and when I looked in the morning the temp had dropped to 40c, I had no problems so perhaps I was lucky.

Ah bugger....I've decided to knock it on the head and get up an hour early instead...
I'd hate for it to go wrong and ruin it...
... fair enough Clint, if you don't feel confident no need to have a sleepless night worrying about it wink...... but be sure to measure the temp at the end of your mash tomorrow, if you find it's lost less than around 1-2C per hour then it'll probably finish up in the high to mid 50sC after a whole night ... and you won't have anything to worry about for next time athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

See you guys in the morning. I'm not yet in a happy place about overnight mashing, so early start it is.

Reading the Brulosophy page, his idea of overnight is 16 hours, that is not my idea of overnight, 8 hours perhaps, I generally mash at 10pm then (I do get up early) sparge water heated for 5am. I was wondering why he considered infection a possibility. And surely infection killed by boil? Remembe ran infection has to come from somewhere so if it could get into a mash then just as likely to enter wort ??

Reading the Brulosophy page, his idea of overnight is 16 hours, that is not my idea of overnight, 8 hours perhaps, I generally mash at 10pm then (I do get up early) sparge water heated for 5am. I was wondering why he considered infection a possibility. And surely infection killed by boil? Remembe ran infection has to come from somewhere so if it could get into a mash then just as likely to enter wort ??
Haven't read the Brulosphy page, but I often do an overnight mash which can range from 8 hours to 12 hours depending on when I get started. Sure, there might be some bacteria hanging around in the malt or especially unmalted grains, or there might not be. But they're only going to serve to correct the mash pH a bit anyway. Nothing horrible's going to happen in such a short time and anything living's going to be killed by the boil anyway, as you say.
On the whole, I prefer a long mash, I often mash in the morning and boil in the evening.

From what I read the mash water gets an off flavour from the bacteria if the mash water isn't hot enough. You can then boil off and kill the bacteria but the off flavour remains.

Back