Peach Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. Haven't posted for a while (if at all) but have lurked a lot and I'm making use of the glut of cheap peaches available over the weekend at Lidl and going for the C.J.J Berry "Peach Perfection" August recipe.

Anyone tried this? I'm going for the 5 gallon option.

I'm off to my local 'brew shop tomorrow for some sherry/Tokay wine yeast.

Contemplating cold/sulphite soaking instead of the boiling water option. Hmmm

Can't wait.

Well I've started this process for 5 gallons of peach wine and 1 gallon of apricot wine. The former as a hot starter (as per Berry) and the latter as a cold starter with 1 - CT added.

Couldn't get the Tokay yeast so just plumped for Young's "Dessert / High Alcohol" yeast.

Will let you know how I progress.

1 Gallon Apricot
------------------
1) Added bog standard Gervin yeast to the apricot and raisin 'must' for aerobic production and will brew as per normal fruit wine with appropriate tannins, acids and nutrient added proceeding with sugar in about 3 days time.

5 Gallon Peach (long haul fermentation as per C J J Berry)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2) 4.5kg of sugar was dissolved in new fermenter to which strained peach 'must' was added to solution. Added tannin, nutrient and citric acid following Mrs Cherry Leed's recipe via Berry's somewhat interpretable instructions. A yeast starter using Young's "Dessert / High Alcohol" sachet was also added once cooled down.

Idea is to add series of 0.5Kg syrup solutions to fermenter over a period of months.

Must remember to take S.G. in a minute.

Peach going well. Already starting to add smaller batches of sugar syrup such is the efficiency of modern brewer's yeasts. Tasting a bit yeasty but some pleasant overtones and aftertastes. So encouraged so far

Latest posts

Back