Pear t.c?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Hi there I am thinking of making a pear turbo cider (of sorts), I am thinking of using pear halves in juice and blending then straining through a sieve/muslin cloth (which ever is better).

now my question is; the tins of pears have an ingredients list of Pear and clarified refined pear juice from concentrate (water, pear concentrate, firming agent: calcium chloride; acidity regulator: citric acid). So basically I am wandering if this is going to be ok to make into alcohol or are the ingredients in the juice no good?

If it is ok should I add some yeast nutrient?

Thanks for any replies :thumb:

Nothing in that is going to mess up fermentation. People use tinned pears for wine, should work for turboperry. Just calculate the required sugar carefully (might not need any over what's in the tins). Yes I would add nutrient, there's not much in there to keep the yeast happy.
Even after careful straining you're likely to get a lot of pulp settling out. With wine you'd probably rack and top up a few weeks in, for turboperry you can probably just leave it and be careful with the siphon at bottling/kegging time.
Pear can have a bitter edge so maybe won't want tannin and might need a bit of aging

cant help with the brewing side but my local b&m store sells pear hales in juice in 3 or 4 kg tins

oldbloke said:
Pear can have a bitter edge so maybe won't want tannin and might need a bit of aging

So is there anything I can add during brewing that would give it a bit of sweetness so that swmbo will enjoy it? She basically likes Stella pear cidre and the kopperberg one.

Thanks again for any replies.

Your best bet Heisenberg is to brew it out then back sweeten using a non-fermentable sweetener such as Splenda as you can never be sure of sweetness levels until post-fermentation.
Using something non-fermentable will not affect your priming levels if you are bottling :thumb:

Ok so I brewed this morning, it consisted of 6 tins of pear halves in juice and about 3 litres of apple and pear juice from concentrate, I added 1 tsp of youngs super wine yeast should I have added some yeast nutrient as well or should it be ok?

I doubt I will re do this mix as it took ages to squeeze the juice of the pear halves through a bit of muslin cloth!

I also didn't add any sugar not sure if this will matter?

Thanks.

It should have plenty of sugar already. Bung some nutrient in if you have some, but it's not vital.

Back