Pictillum Brew #3 - Fursty Ferret clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeithR

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well,
Did me a brew-day yesterday, I went with BIAB and as my son is very partial to a Fursty Ferret I decided to do this one using the following recipe:

Batch size 20L
Boil size 23.5L
OG - 1066
FG - yet to be determined but would like 1006
Boil Time - 90 Mins

3.5Kg MO pale malt
300g Caramalt
300g Wheat malt Pale

12g Target - 60 mins
20g EKG - 20 mins
25g Styrian Goldings - I used Bobek as that was what I had
0.5 Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins

I used WLP007 yeast directly pitched.

Here are picies of the activity.

DSC00039_zpsd1d4a3c1.jpg

I have recently insulated my original boiler - I decided yesterday to use it for the MT.
DSC00041_zps55a881d7.jpg

As I had a spare small boiler I set that up as well.
DSC00040_zps0ec6b642.jpg

I went with the recommended 60 min mash period - all went well. At the end of the mash I transferred the wart into another boiler which I was more confident would be able to provide a good rolling boil. Here are the hops ready for inclusion.
DSC00042_zps5c39977a.jpg

All wart transferred and boiling away quite merrily.
DSC00043_zps3b9db61c.jpg

During the last 2 mins of the boil my boiler crapped out - phew!!! talk about timing, that was close. I decided to leave the investigation of the boiler problems to finish this brew.

My immersion cooler got the brew down to 24Deg C in 25 mins helped no doubt by it being at 0Deg C with the garage door open. WLP007 Yeast was pitched but in fact didn't show much activity until this morning. Its now going well the OG was 1046 which pleased me the brew length was 19L a bit low but I'm happy with that. I didn't need to use any of the 8L I had in my backup boiler

Today - 27th. I took the boiler to bits this morning and found the live lead had burned thru and came detached from the controller. I had checked this about a month ago when I fell air to this boiler - obviously not carefully enough.
DSC00044_zpsfa7dc6eb.jpg

Not a pretty sight. On finding this I stripped the whole boiler down and completely re-wired it. Tested just before lunch and all back and working well now ready for #4.

looks good, im quite partial to the original myself, hope to see how this goes

as for the elements mine keep melting the hot cond sockets, still at least its not just that method

Latest posts

Back