Please be gentle with me!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Annie
It's a 'pie in the sky' / longterm plan of mine too. I started the research a couple of years ago and am now on my 33rd all grain brew, 218 (drinkable) gallons so far :D

I also read the 'microbrewers handbook' cover to cover and think it is excellent. I have a friend of a friend with his own 5BBL and spent some time brewing with him and asking questions. I've come to the conclusion that the actual physical brewing side is relatively straight forward compared to the business, marketing and logistical distribution of the product (and empty casks). Whoever you employ to fit the equipment should provide sound advice on it's use and agree, one of the 5 day courses would be worthwhile if you can't spend a few days at a friendly brewery like I have. Initially, you should have your water analysed by one of the big brewing labs, like Murphy and Son in Nottingham who will recommend it's treatment.

Depending on time, it would be a good experience to knock up a small 10gallon 'pilot plant' to gain experience and develop recipes. There are dozens of examples with photos, look under the 'Herms Rims and shiny things' category (and the link on my signature). Note, you will not need to use 'HERMS' in a 6BBL because the thermal mass of that amount of grain and water maintains it's mash temperature adequately due to it's large volume to surface area ratio. For traditional English ales on that scale, a single mash at one temperature for 90 minutes is sufficient.

I think you will need to look very closely at the HMRC side of things too. I've spent some time reading their website info recently.
HMRC info

Basically, there is everything you need to know about the actual brewing, on here. Learn to use the search function and you can't go wrong. :thumb:
Oh, and Aleman knows just about everything there is to know, so his rate is probably justified. :ugeek:

Edit This will be a useful resource from Murphy's

pjbiker said:
Initially, you should have your water analysed by one of the big brewing labs, like Murphy and Son in Nottingham who will recommend it's treatment.
Or if you don't like the 'One Size fits all' approach to Water treatment that Murphy's offers I can put you in touch with a Chemist who will do the analysis and customise treatments for whatever you need to brew.

FWIW I regard Murphy's/Brupacks/ CBA water treatments to be like a Bra . . . It comes in a range of sizes . . .but no matter what size you buy they don't fit anyone in particular :roll:

Aleman said:
FWIW I regard Murphy's/Brupacks/ CBA water treatments to be like a Bra . . . It comes in a range of sizes . . .but no matter what size you buy they don't fit anyone in particular :roll:

:rofl: :rofl:

Two good references there PJ.
I may be wrong but I worked out that the duty on a pint of 4.2% is 39p and 5.2% goes up to 48p :shock:
That changes the reckoning quite a bit on going commercial, beginning to feel sorry for the brewers :lol: (Not really ;) )
If the county gets further into the do dos than it is now they will be stopping us brewing at home and make us all drink the country out of the ***** they let it get into :( Best not pursue this one, someone may get ideas. ;)
Someone correct me if my maths is belly up :?
I do believe there is a reduced duty for small breweries but couldn't find what it was.
There's lots of good stuff on the Murphy site that I hadn't seen and they have a very, very competitive home brew shop now. :thumb: :D
S

Springer
£16.47 per HL% is standard but 50% reduction for brewers producing <5,000HL/year
You were right for big brewers. I make it just over 22p/pint for 4.8Abv for 'small' brewers.
To qualify for an increased rate you would need to produce 8.4BBL every single day for a year so that pretty much covers all but the largest microbrewers, the rate increases pretty sharply after that.

Lol at Aleman's bra analogy . . . although as a man how could you possible know :grin: (or is there something you want to confess?!!).

Loved your brewery evolution PJB, how long did all that take you?

Annie the Ale said:
Loved your brewery evolution PJB, how long did all that take you?

I've been doing bits and pieces over the last 2 years, but if I were to make an estimate on time to make the kit I am currently using, ie. 70L HLT, 70L Boiler, 38.5L Mash Tun, with pump, counterflow cooler and temperature control box, I'd estimate it could be put together in 2-3 days provided you had all of the parts at hand and you're reasonably competent at basic diy. Most can be obtained locally or on the web/ebay within a week except the temperature controller which could take a couple of weeks to get here from Hong Kong.

Back