Please Help support the Debate on the Beer Duty Escalator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Please help if possible, The Beer Duty Escalator is Killing UK Brewing and causing many local pubs to close due to excessive taxation on beer please copy the template below personalise it, and email it to your local MP, your local MP's details can be found here http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

The Brewing and Pub industry needs as many MP's at this debate as possible therefore please support this.

Dear XXX

I am contacting you to ask for your support in the Parliamentary debate on 1st November calling for a review of the Beer Duty Escalator.

This debate has been called following the success of an online petition, which has gathered more than 100,000 signatures from brewers, publicans, beer drinkers and others concerned about the impact of spiralling beer duty.

The debate is critical to local breweries and pubs, and also to the beer and pub industry in general. Since the introduction of the beer duty escalator, excise duty has increased by 42 per cent, or nearly 20 pence per pint. Beer sales in pubs and clubs have fallen by 23 per cent and over 6,000 pubs have closed. Beer taxation now costs the average pub around £66,000 per year.

The Treasury forecasts a very small increase in duty revenues from this policy - small enough that no additional revenue is predicted in the Budget document. However, there does not appear to have been any assessment of the wider cost of the policy, in terms of reduced VAT, corporation tax, and higher social security payments due to the loss of jobs incurred.

While excessive taxation on beer is a national issue, it is also having a profound effect locally [INSERT LOCAL CONTENT HERE, EG ‘THE XXX PUB IN XXX CLOSED LAST MONTH, MEANING THE LOSS OF XXX LOCAL JOBS.’

I do hope you will attend this debate, speak up for the brewing industry, given the vital role it plays in the XXX constituency, and vote in favour of a review of the duty escalator

I look forward to your response. If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me on [INSERT CONTACT DETAILS HERE]

Yours sincerely etc

jonewer said:
Love to, but I think I'm on my MP's ignore list, given the number of letter's he's got from me in the last 2 years! :lol:

You cannot be on the ignore list, if you send them a letter they are Duty bound to reply, they can loose there seat if they don't.

Shane

Mark1964 said:
we will do it Shane :thumb:

Cheers, Mark :thumb:

Everyone benefits in the end, if the Duty escalator is reversed, it is a really important thing that duty on Beer is lowered, it is currently killing pubs and helping the likes of Tescos etc,,,,, who stack high sell cheap, Help your local Brewers and pub Landlords who add vital income to your local economy.

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,

As i was one of the 100,000 :thumb: pleased to follow it up.

Just sent an e-mail to our local MP. It was horific to list the pubs that have closed in the last couple of years in our constituency. :( :(

Cheers Dennis & Chris, I was one of the 100,000 too :D

This really needs as many of you to do this as possible, & there is not a lot of time as the debate is this thursday.

Cheers

Shane

I was one of the 100,000 too, glad this thread appeared..it reminded me to e-mail my MP, done it now :thumb:

We might make ten by the end of the night, but thread will take some bumping to be effective in time.

Have put in on Jims, as well, on my facebook page twitter etc etc etc the more the better, If we all want decent pubs and decent beer to drink in them, if they carry on closing at the rate they are they will be few and far between in 10 years time.

Thanks for the support so far :thumb: :thumb:

Shane

I will have a go at putting it on my facebook page tomorrow, not sure how that will go, so might shout for help if I get stuck.

:-?

Latest posts

Back