Polishing Stainless with a bench grinder/polisher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
How do you polish stainless with a bench grinder/polisher and pads, ie, what are the right buffing compounds/pads to use for stainless steel?

I've long wanted to buff up my cornies and having recently had some work done on my conical chillers I saw a bench polisher in action for the 1st time and liked the results. There are full kits on ebay but they might/might not have in them what I need.
Can anyone recommend which pads and compounds to use. This is for fine polishing of stainless in the case of the conical chillers so I might as well go that route for the cornies.
Looking at this listing I'd say white and green, and that would answer the pad question, but something tells me the dirtier cornies need something else :hmm:

EDIT...kit here though I've been advised 250w would be better.

If it was me (and when I get my Dual Action Polisher) I would use that and a medium (no 2) foam pad together with a medium cut polish (like Meguiars #83). . . . You can go for something with a bit more 'cut' (Say Meguiars #105) . . . to finish then a soft pad (no 3) and a light cut polish (Meguiars #205) should remove any swirls and really get an incredible depth of shine.

It will then need waxing say with Collinite 476s Double Coat wax

But then I wouldn't use a bench polisher :D

In the same sort of vein.....
I wanted a strip of brass 3 inches wide to ue as a " kick plate " for the bottom edge of my baa...r. After seeing the price I've settles for a piece of thin timber and some " stricking brass " paint...... :oops: :oops:

Sorry you can't take all the Yorkshire out of a man....

:lol: ...it's more a case of if I'm going to buy one I want it to be used for more than just my conical chillers really
In the same sort of vein.....
I wanted a strip of brass 3 inches wide to ue as a " kick plate " for the bottom edge of my baa...r. After seeing the price I've settles for a piece of thin timber and some " stricking brass " paint...... :oops: :oops:
Sorry you can't take all the Yorkshire out of a man....
:lol: ..lateral thinking can save a lot of dosh :cool:

Whenever our polishers have to put a mirror finish onto the stainless steel catering gear we make they go at it first off with black grease on a double stitched wheel at a medium speed, then finish it off with a loose leaf wheel with no grease at slow speed. After that they rub it down with the white powder (lime?) to remove any grease remnants.

Dunno what grade the stuff they use is but Assuming all the greases are colour coded the same you'd prob be alright with just the black one.

Defo better to use the edge of a wheel rather than the face of a pad though. Get that bench grinder or even just a drill clamped up in a workmate with a spindle and wheel.

Sounds like you already know how much graft it is. You'll look like you've been down the mines once you're done too! :lol:

Vossy1 said:
How do you polish stainless with a bench grinder/polisher and pads, ie, what are the right buffing compounds/pads to use for stainless steel?

I've long wanted to buff up my cornies and having recently had some work done on my conical chillers I saw a bench polisher in action for the 1st time and liked the results. There are full kits on ebay but they might/might not have in them what I need.
Can anyone recommend which pads and compounds to use. This is for fine polishing of stainless in the case of the conical chillers so I might as well go that route for the cornies.
Looking at this listing I'd say white and green, and that would answer the pad question, but something tells me the dirtier cornies need something else :hmm:

EDIT...kit here though I've been advised 250w would be better.
check this post out in Canada
[youtube:23x47oru]9Ln-plGzVc4[/youtube:23x47oru]
http://www.canadianhomebrewers.com/view ... =12&t=2687
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back