Possible Chems guide ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinkey

Reaction score
Hi as i and others are just starting out .i was just wondering if there was any chance of a guide to the different chemicals used in wine making maybe with some wisdom from other ppls experience to let us know what they all do and when best to use them ?

I think there is a thread on here somewhere saying exactly what you want, but I don't know where it is and I'm on mobile right now so slow speed, so I will give you a quick list.
CT or Campden tablets are fruit preserving tablets that stun wild yeast, use at the rate of 1 crushed CT per gallon in the must to prevent wild bacteria add to cool must not hot as it renders them useless
Tannin used to give wine bite, can be substituted by 1 cup of cold strong black tea.
Pectolase used to breakdown pectin in fruit which cause a pectin haze
Amylase used in the same way as pectin but used to treat starch gazes from grains and root vegetables, with pectolase and amylase use 1 tsp per gallon when the must is cool.
Citric acid, I believe its used to give zest to a wine same as lemons, not 100% on this one.
Nutrient is used to give the yeast the best possible chance.
Bentonite a fining agent made from clay.
Yeast, do I need to explain this one :D

Hope that helps I'm off to sleep now.

HLA91

Latest posts

Back