Pour yourself a glass for ...... A journey to the dark side

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not such a long time ago, in a small sleepy village far away from the cities, ooop north it were, on the Lancashire Cumbria border, there lived a quiet unassuming character, Baz Chaz, he was retired from the racing of rats, a happy chap content with his lot and a fisherman in his now ample spare time.
Old Baz rather liked the occasional tipple, but was fed up of the wines, red, white and the poncy rose, although his refreshment of choice, Lagavilin from the Islay distillery will never change, but this is a treat not for daily consumption or the one he fears most, The Missus, would do terrible things to him, uttering a strange chant which causes pain to the tender ears of Baz, the words are often jumbled and confused, but one word is forever present, Decorating! He lives in fear of the dreaded ‘Paintbrush’ and the colour charts presented by The Missus do terrible things to his eyes, so our old friend needed something else to keep his spirits up and himself busy to avoid the Decorating.

He likes a noggin or two of beer does our Baz, preferring the beer of the cask and preferably locally brewed whenever possible, but found small brown bottles were appealing to him more and more, so he decided to return to the once familiar territory of some 30 years ago, Home Brewing. Secretly over a few weeks he started to accumulate a stash of the bottles brown in a hidden corner of the garage, when feeling particularly brave he would mention as a quiet aside to The Missus his old hobby and he found The Missus was not too averse to the idea, in fact she admitted that some of his brews were very good!
Whilst on holiday our mate and The Missus went to Islay, the home of his favourite single malt and came across a small local brewery and when out and about treating The Missus to lunches in as many pubs as he could find, Baz kept tempting her with beer of the cask and one evening he fed The Missus strong potions containing Bacardi and not much coke, while he heavily fortified himself with large draughts of Lagavulin he mentioned the small brewery and was thinking of returning to Home Brewing, The Missus actually suggested our man should “give it a go”!

Once home from holiday Baz was no longer having to hide out in The Den or spend time out in the garden to avoid Decorating, our man turned to ‘tinternet to gather information for his quest to return to Home Brewing. He found a strange place, THBF, where there were many not unlike him, but they brewed beers in many forms and had strange names to conceal their identities, no doubt from their 'Missus’ as well, for they like Baz will live in fear of this forbidding creature. The clansmen of THBF appeared from places far and wide, even Yorkshire and from abroad like Scotland, but they were a kindly bunch and made our friend welcome. Baz read and read, remembering familiar terms from times past, like wort and sparging, a language The Missus wouldn’t understand and this would fill Baz’s heart with excitement and enthusiasm. Having some small amounts of coinage saved from his pocket money supplied by The Missus, our man had saved enough for a couple of kits, for this was familiar territory to our friend and he had high hopes of some success.

Baz became a frequenter of THBF and started posting and asking questions of many, all of whom were helpful and encouraging, there was a kindly chap, Wez, who seemed to be the chieftain of this rabble who would speak with Baz in the room of chatting, they talked about times past, when Baz was a young man and visited gatherings of strange beings, rock stars, who congregated in small groups and made strange sounds which made the hairy ones shake and cheer, but mostly the talk was of brewing of ale and somewhere called The Dark Side.

The Dark Side sounded a mysterious place and quite dangerous, for it seems that once someone has crossed to The Dark Side there is no return, they refer to it in hushed tones and only refer to it by the initials ‘AG’ brewing and talk of many ingredients being mixed to produce fine beers. Simple it is they say, but great care must be taken otherwise there is the risk of infection by the wild yeasties which will ruin the beers of the careless. But it is a side that appealed to Baz even after such a short while and only on his second kit which was still in the FV, it was a journey Baz found he wished to take, lead on by the Cheiftain Wez and his many followers.

There is another far more dangerous place on The Dark Side, which will require much coinage of followers of the Dark Side, it is The Shiney Place, those beautiful objects constructed of the steel stainless which shine out to the upturned eyes of those who have crossed to the dark side and wish for more, very quickly Baz was drawn to The Shiney Place and The Den was cleared and his small but hopefully workable brewery was born, pleas went out to a friend who brought him a shiney boiler, Baz even managed to scrape together some coinage from The Missus which allowed him a shiney wort chiller, the rest was scrounged from friends and contacts in the wastelands of the place Baz used to call Work, all that is left is for the makings to arrive then our friend will well and truly have crossed over to The Dark Side from which he may never return.

The only thing that is needed now for all the followers of the Dark Side, both old and new, is something that cannot be taught or learned from books............ patience, for even when brewed, time is needed before the potions of the Dark Side can be sampled :whistle:

Cussword said:
:lol: You've missed your calling, should have written short stories. :thumb: I prefer the Ardbeg to the Lagavullin

Lagavullin for me pity it is so damn expensive.

:cheers:

Cussword said:
:lol: You've missed your calling, should have written short stories. :thumb: I prefer the Ardbeg to the Lagavullin

............. ;) I do :lol:

christmas supplies ....... :thumb:

bahhumbug.jpg

topped up this summer :oops:

nat7a.jpg

graysalchemy said:
Cussword said:
Lagavullin for me pity it is so damn expensive.
Try my favourite . . . Port Ellen . . . Actually that's a bit of a bargain price :hmm: :hmm: The distillery closed in 1983 (Mothballed . . . and then in 2005 the distillery was moved I believe to the Ardbeg plant . . . there is talk of production starting again

Baz Chaz said:
Cussword said:

............. ;) I do :lol:

christmas sullpies ....... :thumb:

bahhumbug.jpg

topped up this summer :oops:

nat7a.jpg

That amount of lagvullen brings tears to my eyes. I must say I prefer the more peaty Islay malts and I very rarely drink any other malt.

In order of preference

Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Ardbeg

Don't mind bowmore though and TCP :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I also like Talisker. Visited Talisker once only to find it closed due to HSE inspection, funnily same thing happened when I went to Black Sheep Brewery back in the early 90's :hmm: :hmm:

Must admit I was always a Laphroaig man until my first visit to Islay :idea: we visited Laphroaig, then lunched at Ardbeg, but I fell for the charms of Lagavulin :whistle:

Both MrsC and me love Islay, we rent a remote (and I mean remote :!: ) cottage and watch Golden Eagles and Red Deer from out the back door :cool: its just a magical place :thumb:

whicxv.jpg

24345li.jpg

Baz Chaz said:
Both MrsC and me love Islay, we rent a remote (and I mean remote :!: ) cottage and watch Golden Eagles and Red Deer from out the back door :cool: its just a magical place :thumb:

By the time you've finished that lot, you'd be watching red eagles & golden deer :lol:
I do like the Caol Ila.
I have a 17 year old Ardbeg that I've put away for a while.

Baz Chaz said:
Must admit I was always a Laphroaig man until my first visit to Islay :idea: we visited Laphroaig, then lunched at Ardbeg, but I fell for the charms of Lagavulin :whistle:

whicxv.jpg

24345li.jpg

I used to live somewhere like that Loch kishorn in a caravan on an estate. I could tell the time by an eagle which would appear half an hour before sunset. Woken up after a heavy drinking session watching a stag looking at me through the window. He had his head so close you could see the condensation from his nostrels.

Stuck in sunny Manchester now, mind you I did see a buzzard over the house this weekend, but not quite the same.

:cheers:

I had a bottle of this once, quite nice but not memorable.

What the Feck was I thinking when I drank it?

probably pour me another me thinks. Shouldn't have let those whisky demons get to me and make me finish it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Drink more you know you want to.

Sorry Baz for hijacking your thread but you are stirring up the emotions of a previous life, just don't mention any of my other past loves.

Cussword said:

laphroaig quarter cask i my tipple allthough i am no stranger to most other islay malts mmmmm! :thumb:

the last bit of my OP refers to patience ................

I've got to wait until tomorrow for the delivery of the 'makings' :shock:

then I've got to wait until Friday before I brew :eek:

and then I've got to wait for it to brew and mature in the bottle :roll:

good job I'd done a couple of kits to get me started :lol:

Baz Chaz said:

whicxv.jpg

24345li.jpg

That looks bloody awsome!!!!

I wanna go there sometime! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BigYin said:
That looks bloody awsome!!!!

I wanna go there sometime! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me too :shock: I wanna go back again :pray: :D

I do so love reading the chronicles of the people, who know how to enjoy and the best things in, life.
The dark side is enchanted, there is no return, but the Shiney heart is Devil driven and you are compelled to go deeper and deeper.

The word “decorating” was lost from my missus’s ear bend tools many years ago.
Realising its futility and negative results, she now does it herself, which results in great harmony, beer and cider.

I wish you well on your future brewing, BC, and your next magnum opus.

Nice one Baz. Even though I am far from dismounting the rat chariot, I still have a dream..... and you my anonymous online friend are living that dream and I applaud you. I work at a desk during the day and by night I decorate and for a special treat at the weekend... I weed the garden. But now I have hope... I brew my beer kits when time allows (who am I kidding.... when The Missus allows) and one day I will without a doubt, follow the fine folk of THBF into the dark.

P.s. My whiskey supplies have long dried up (it's a mystery to me, but family and friends just stopped buying it for me? :hmm: very rude!), but I often pop down to Oddbinns and pretend I'm going to buy a botttle.... many samples later I find myself needing more time to think before I promise to return and commit.

:thumb: cheers Baz

Latest posts

Back