Pressure Barrel Question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.Tom.

Reaction score
Hi, Just back into Home Brewing last summer, following a very long period away from it.

I have two Youngs pressure barrels but am having recurring problems with the Cap washer dislodging and the barrel loosing pressure as a result. I have tried very liberally applying vaseline to the washer before screwing the cap on and I am also not over tightening (just to finger pressure), but the issue keep happening (which is very annoying after being patient for a month, only to find a brew ruined).

My question is, has anyone had any luck permanently glueing a washer in place, so it doesn't slip out of it's recess? I remember 30 or so years ago, I had a Boots brand pressure barrel which had a permanent washer / seal and I never had these issues.

Alternatively, does anyone sell pressure barrel caps with permanent washers designed into them?

I am also Bottling may beer and have recently purchased some Oxebar Monolayer 8L Kegs as alternate dispense methods, but I would really like to get the pressure barrels working properly too.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.....

Are you sure it’s the cap washer (between barrel neck and cap) that’s leaking and not the gas valve in the cap?
Thanks for commenting; yes I am, as it's the same with two different barrels and caps. Also when I unscrew the cap (when it's time to clean the barrel), I can see that the washers are distorted and out of their seats.

From my experience of my 2 Youngs pressure barrels, I found it was more likely that the S30 valve was leaking rather than the white cap washer, as the standard vent caps held the pressure fine.

If you do have the S30 caps, I would recommend swapping the 2 clear seals with the solid colour seals that somewhere like Balliihoo or The Home Brew Shop sell.

From my experience of my 2 Youngs pressure barrels, I found it was more likely that the S30 valve was leaking rather than the white cap washer, as the standard vent caps held the pressure fine.

If you do have the S30 caps, I would recommend swapping the 2 clear seals with the solid colour seals that somewhere like Balliihoo or The Home Brew Shop sell.
Thank you, I hadn't considered that and shall try this.....

Thanks for the replies - I've just bought a different manufacturer cap which hopefully may solve whatever the issue is (a Balliihoo 2 Inch Pressure Barrel Co2 Control Cap to be exact). Hopefully I'll have more luck with this, if so I'll duplicate for the other barrel - I appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks for the replies - I've just bought a different manufacturer cap which hopefully may solve whatever the issue is (a Balliihoo 2 Inch Pressure Barrel Co2 Control Cap to be exact). Hopefully I'll have more luck with this, if so I'll duplicate for the other barrel - I appreciate all the suggestions.
One thing to check is that the top of the barrel lid which makes contact with the washer is smooth. One of mine was rough so it didn't seal. I smoothed it off and it was fine after that.

Know their limitations and set your expectations a bit lower and they work great.
I used them when I first started brewing back in the 80s ( boots variant).
Although I've got stainless sankey kegs, upcycled keykegs, petainers and other one way kegs I still have a fondness for them.
Latest one I bought in New Zealand had the deluxe boots keg tap on it, so it must be ancient and it still works great. Closest I think you can get to cask pour without cask and a beer engine. My four beer engines might disagree, but I can't resist them if I see one for sale.

I’ve got four King Keg plastic pressure barrels and have experienced leaks from all of them in the past. The main culprit was the rubber bands on the gas valve in the lid. I always found it difficult to unscrew the cap on an empty barrel as well. My solution was to make my own cap using corny posts and my own design of silicone rubber seal that has been pretty successful if I do say so myself.

I’ve got four King Keg plastic pressure barrels and ........ I always found it difficult to unscrew the cap on an empty barrel as well......

Once tight enough to hold pressure, I can't get lids off by hand, but its fine using an old king keg metal spanner.
They still do the spanners, but they're plastic now.

Once tight enough to hold pressure, I can't get lids off by hand, but its fine using an old king keg metal spanner.
They still do the spanners, but they're plastic now.
Even with the plastic spanner I found it difficult. Couldn’t hold the barrel still! I’m sure there must’ve been a knack to it, but I didn’t have it! 😂

Latest posts

Back