pressure fermenting S05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing this weekend...a hoppy hazy American IPA. I'm using S05 but think this time I'll pressure ferment. Was thinking around 10 - 12psi, nothing too edgy, and maintaining the temp around the usual fermenting temp of around 19 degrees C. Anyone got any experience of this or do people tend to raise temp with pressure?

I think the point is to raise the temperature to make things go quickly but increase the pressure to keep things clean. Usually done with lager yeasts used at room temperature. Not all yeasts respond well to this treatment.

Did Heretic evil twin clone with S05 under pressure, started at 20, but reduced to 10 (hear 12/15 is sweet spot) . Regarding temp whilst I understand higher temps with lager yeasts is a benefit I just don't worry so much when it's not lager .So generally pitch at recommended temps and let it run.(don't shoot me)

O and the beer was excellent

Thanks. Not necessarily looking for a fast ferment, but more after a higher yield and retaining hop aroma and flavour, and naturally carbonating, so that is the thinking around fermenting under pressure but at a lower temp, or at least at conventional ale temps. Think I'll shoot for 12psi and towards the higher end of the normal temp range.

Did Heretic evil twin clone with S05 under pressure, started at 20, but reduced to 10 (hear 12/15 is sweet spot) . Regarding temp whilst I understand higher temps with lager yeasts is a benefit I just don't worry so much when it's not lager .So generally pitch at recommended temps and let it run.(don't shoot me)

O and the beer was excellent
What temp did you ferment at under those pressures?

If you open ferment at usual temperature and then spend about 10 points short of final you'll easily get the vols of co2 you need.
If you want less yeast expression then spund from earlier in ferment and go higher. I aim for my final vols at ferment temp when spunding.
Currently a Philly sour and American amber at 25 psi 'nd clearing.
Will await your results

Thanks. I'm not too fussed about yeast expression from this one as S05 is a bit bland I find anyway so just going at it from early on...just because I might as well! I have pressure fermented before but usually when I've been in a rush and used Kveik or done a pseudo lager.

Didn't think you'd want a lot of yeast expression with SO5.
I tend to use opshaug when recipe says WLP 001 and then ferment under pressure, seems to add nothing to the flavour.

OK thanks. I brewed yesterday and fermentation kicked off earlier today at 19 degrees so will close off fermentor and aim for 22 degrees and 12 psi and see how she runs.
I done a IPA last year using S05. The temperature was 21.5 with a psi of 11. Must say it came out really well. It had finished fermenting within 3 days

Well looks like the fermentation has finished. Went fine. Was around 13 psi and 22 degrees initially amd I’ve ramped upto 23.5 degrees in half degree steps as it was finishing just to eke out what I can. Will let it sit for a few days to make sure before softcrashing for dry hop.

Latest posts

Back