Priming TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys... Just racked off a batch of 23litres of TC into pint bottles. I primed with 2 extra litres of AJ.

Just wondering how long it will take before its carbonated? I put the bottles back into a room at 20 deg/c.

Thanks,

Ben.

Now I might be a newbie who doesn't know much about brewing, yet, but I can do sums.

Apple juice has an S.G. around 1.050, which equates to 135g sugar per litre.

If you've added 2L as a priming juice that's 270g of available sugar in 25 litres, 10.8g/litre, 6g/pint.

That's around 1.5 teaspoons of sugar per pint.

You've made bombs! :eek:

Moley said:
Now I might be a newbie who doesn't know much about brewing, yet, but I can do sums.

Apple juice has an S.G. around 1.050, which equates to 135g sugar per litre.

If you've added 2L as a priming juice that's 270g of available sugar in 25 litres, 10.8g/litre, 6g/pint.

You've made bombs! :eek:
All correct up to
6g of table sugar is slightly less than 1 level tsp of table sugar per pint (I weighed it to check my calcs :lol: ) :thumb:
I have quite successfully primed 23L with an extra 2L of apple juice and although it was highly carbonated it was not dangerous (apart from the alcohol content :twisted: )
Although irishbrew doesn't state what bottles he's used if they are real ale beer bottles or PET they should be fine :thumb:

To answer your original Q irishbrew they will be carbonated in a week and if you move them somewhere cool they should be clear in another 10 days and be drinkable :drink:
If you can resist temptation put 6 bottles away for 3 months and then try them one each month, you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much smoother it becomes :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
All correct up to [That's around 1.5 teaspoons of sugar per pint.]
6g of table sugar is slightly less than 1 level tsp of table sugar per pint (I weighed it to check my calcs :lol: ) :thumb:

:nono: Either you're using a big teaspoon or your scales are shot ;)

I hadn't accurately calculated weight of sugar per volume, I merely weighed a teaspoon of sugar.

But, I have now. 50ml of granulated sugar in a graduated trial jar weighs 45g, so a standard level 5ml teaspoon is 4.5g.

Ok, so we'll split the difference, it's one and one third teaspoonfuls :thumb:

However, I bow to your superior experience if you think decent bottles will withstand that, and I hope you're right about leaving the TC for a few months, as mine's pretty rough at the moment.

Sorry to be picky with maths (it's one of my bad habits), but isn't most AJ about 104g per litre (Checked on Sainsburys and Asda)?

So with the addition of 2 litres, this makes 25 litres (or 44 pints). This is then 208/44 which is 4.72g per pint, so 1.05 teaspoons per pint (assuming 4.5g per teaspoon)... It'll be reet :thumb:

bolty said:
Sorry to be picky with maths (it's one of my bad habits), but isn't most AJ about 104g per litre (Checked on Sainsburys and Asda)?
Pick away, and I pass, but I chucked a hydrometer in a Lidl apple juice and it read 1.048
I've just checked the tables in CJJB and make that 127g/litre, so 254g in 25 litres = 10.16g/l, 5.8g/pint, 1.29 tsp.

If tubby_shaw reckons bottles are stronger than I'm giving them credit for, it'll be reet :thumb:

There is no standardised sugar content for apple juices and if you wanted to calculate how much sugar you'll be adding then measure your apple juice with a hydrometer first. Then work out how much of this sugar content would be fermentable by the remaining yeast and you have your carbonation volume. You've got to go some way to make bottle bombs and if you're frightened of doing that then do as TS suggests and use good firm real ale or PET bottles.

I've fermented Belgian Duvel clone with 180g of sugar of an 18l volume in glass bottles and not a single bomb. I've also put 1.5 teaspoons of sugar into 500ml glass bottles when making turbo cider.

Using CJJB for anything is probably going to get you in more trouble than over priming.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Tried a bottle today and not much fizz there, its only been up there a few days. The bottle gave a little hiss when opening but nothing too spectacular yet!
The cider tasted lovely though... :cheers:

Ben.

Latest posts

Back