Priming with elderflower cordial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I’ve got an elderflower summer ale ready to be bottled today. It uses small amounts of cascade and northern brewer hops plus some dried elderflowers. I’m wanting to boost the elderflower flavour slightly by priming with a cordial instead of sugar. The bottle says 4.6g of sugar when diluted 1 to 10 with water. I’m making 16 pints so would usually use 8 teaspoons of sugar but has anyone any idea how much cordial I should use. (Sorry that this post is essentially maths)

It's not possible (for me at least) to work out how much cordial you would require, from the information provided.

It may/should say on the bottle the mg of sugar per serving or 100ml. From this you could work out how much you needed.

That said, I think it's a great experiment. I might suggest you prime with different amounts and write each amount on the bottle. This will help you work out what level had the taste you are looking for. It will also help you determine which are bottle bombs and gushers.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Nick

Latest posts

Back