Process / Timings Query - Secondary? Hop in Corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeywheelspin

Reaction score
Hi All,

After a couple of years off I've finally found time to make beer again!! It's been a while so I'm relearning some bits, but looking at my process I'm just curious what everyone else's is? I'm doing a BIAB of a hoppy (Citra / Simcoe) pale ale which is currently in the brew fridge fizzing away.

Essentially, I was planning;

14 days fermenting (add dry hops into primary (in a bag) after 9 days)
Day 15 (subject to no gravity change for two days) Cold crash at 2deg for two days
Transfer straight to keg and bottle whats left
Hold my nerve for another two weeks (probably 1) then enjoy.

Simples! But I keep reading about transferring to a secondary and hopping in that. I also see that lots of people do a secondary and dry hop in the keg? I could transfer from my SS bucket to a plastic FV if there is any advantage but not sure if its necessary? It could make for clearer beer I suppose and there could be advantages in getting the beer off the yeast but there's an increased risk of infection.

I get that there are many ways to skin a cat, but curious as to other peoples process / timings?

Thanks all.

Cheers!

Not sure what articles/blogs/etc you've been reading but racking to a secondary is old school. There's absolutely no reason to rack to a secondary unless you've got a very specific reason to do so

It seems to be more popular in the states, but I was struggling to see the point. I’ll stick to what I’ve done before then.

Thanks for the reassurance 👍🏼

Back