Purging a Corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm going to be kegging in to a Corny for the first time in a few days but have one quick question: after the beer has been added and the first CO2 injected, how do I purge any oxygen that is still in the keg? The only out valve is for beer so I can't work out how to force the air out.

When you have finished filling the keg through the out post gas up the keg then let the gas out through the safety release valve (it should have a little ring on it then repeat the gassing process and let the gas out again. Do this 3 or 4 times and the keg should be full of c02 not 02 :thumb:

mark1964 said:
When you have finished filling the keg through the out post gas up the keg then let the gas out through the safety release valve (it should have a little ring on it then repeat the gassing process and let the gas out again. Do this 3 or 4 times and the keg should be full of c02 not 02 :thumb:
Of course, how stupid of me to forget the release valve! :oops:
Does it need to be filled through the out line? Can the beer not be carefully syphoned into the keg through the main opening in the top?

Most people fill through the out post as it causes less disturbance to the beer. When you transfer this way it also reduces risks of infection etc as the lid is on. As you fill the corny make sure the safety valve is open then dont foget to close it before you gas up :thumb:

WelshPaul said:
Hi folks,
I'm going to be kegging in to a Corny for the first time in a few days but have one quick question: after the beer has been added and the first CO2 injected, how do I purge any oxygen that is still in the keg? The only out valve is for beer so I can't work out how to force the air out.
Fill the keg with CO2 before you add the beer then you don't need to purge the corny.

1) Fill corny to the brim with your choice of no rinse sanitiser
2) put lid on, and wait for contact time to elapse
3) attach black disconnect with pipe going into another vessel if you want to save your sanitiser, otherwise direct it down the drain
4) turn the gas on
5) attach the grey disconnect, and let CO2 into the keg . . sanitiser will be pushed out of the black disconnect.
6) when empty remove black disconnect

You now have a Corny full of CO2, all you need to do now is

1) release any pressure in the corny (Open safety valve or attach an open grey disconnect)
2) connect you sanitised tube and black disconnect to your syphon/FV Tap (If using a syphon you will need to get it started first ;)
3) attach Black disconnect to out tube . . . Beer will flow as long as your FV/barrel is higher than the corny.
4) stop filling (remove black disconnect) when beer is just below gas in disconnect (otherwise you run the risk of back flow of beer up the gas line into your reg . . .this is not a good thing)

Back