question on storing bottled beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Regular.
Reaction score
At what stage, if ever, is it ok to store beer on its side?

So my beer has had its 1-2 wks at room temp, then the appropiate longer conditioning time in a cooler place (garage). but now the temp is dropping there- below 5 degrees c. if they've been in the cold for long enough, can/should I move them back inside for more longer term storage? how long is long enough in the colder temps?

Invest in some bottle crates and leave in the shed. Wouldn't leave them on their side but you could leave them upside down so the sediment stays near the lid then you Can open and pour the sediment straight out

thanks! I actually have loads of crates- but I'm worried about the temps. Most of the beers are strong belgians. Will they continue to condition at such low temps?

Would say storing them on their side is a no no because as soon as you go to pour a pint, the sediment will get straight out. But then again im new so someone with more experience could help you.

It's risky. If your yeast settles hard you might get away with it. If not you're gonna disturb it when you pour. Depends how fussy you are about Yeast in your pint i suppose.

re ; side storage of beer bottles - cannot see much to be gained from it but can see a bunch of possible problems , so on the whole , I would say "no" .

My allotment is handily placed, just behind the house, so if I get an attack of the 'vapours' I can nip inside for a swifty :oops:
On one (rare) hot day this Summer, I treated my neighbours to a bottle of Muntons Bock, fresh from the fridge.
I also bought out 6 glasses, but one of the younger allotmenteers insisted on drinking from the bottle. Later he commented "Nice beer but a little gritty" :twisted:

I would say it's not a problem leaving the bottles in a unheated garage, that's were i leave mine after the couple of weeks at room temp. All the fermenting has taken place and it's just conditioning from there on in. Nothing wrong with pouring the sediment into your glass after all that's all the goodness. What i usually do is pour around 3/4 of a pint into a glass and leave the sediment in the bottle for a while so i can admire my clear brew then after around 3 pints i think sod it and pour the lot in in one go

Latest posts

Back