Racking tips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marco491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread or a "how to" on this? I'm not totally convinced about the oral siphoning method for hygiene reasons, and it's, well, messy - so any tips appreciated.

Maybe I can convert one of my fermenting bins to put in a bottom tap - has anyone done that successfully?

Thanks yet again!

I have a bottom tap in all of my fermenting bins for exactly that reason.

Here you go, my 2 main fermenters, both with taps in them.

DSCF0385.jpg

I attach a bit of Vossys silicon hose to the taps to run the wort into my kegs.

I also have a smaller 25 Litre fermenter which I have a tap in that I can put a little bottler on for bottling.

I never syphon now, I just ended up making a mess.

like Steve, I too tend to use taps these days - though of course its an extra thing to make very sure is clean.

But if you want to syphon you're right to be cautious; there are bacteria in saliva that can harm beer. There are automatic syphons you can buy, though i've no personal experience of them. I personally use a larger bit of tube on the end of the syphon tube to suck through, and then remove this once the cyphon starts.

In some cases I find it easier to fill the whole tube by lowering it in and then putting a thumb over the end to keep it full (primed, as it were) whilst repositioning ready for the syphon. but thats not so easy if you're trying not to disturb yeast and the thumb isn't great in terms of sanitation, so I do this mainly when transferring stuff like sanitising solution - to avoid getting it in the mouth rather than infecting the solution.

Cheers
kev

With taps, do you ever get an issue with sucking up trub along with it? I've always thought that this would be an issue.

The tap is not right at the bottom of the FV so doesn't suck the trub from the bottom, not that I have noticed anyway. If the Krausan hasn't dropped you do have to be careful that when you get near the end of the bucket that this doesn't go through the tap, but I imagine you have the same issue with a syphon.

I usually end up tipping my FV's towards the tap as I get near the end, and am happy to leave a couple of pints in the FV's so as not to risk getting any of the trub in the kegs.

Hmmm, in that case, I may need to get some holes drilled and taps fitted :)

Only issue I see is that I am currently using a water bath for my temperature control, so I won't be able to use that method with a tap.

You will still be able to use the water bath, you just lift the keg out of the water bath and put it on the worktop prior to attaching the hose.

Probably worth spraying a bit of Starsan around the tap once you have removed it from the water bath though.

Runwell-Steve said:
You will still be able to use the water bath, you just lift the keg out of the water bath and put it on the worktop prior to attaching the hose.

Probably worth spraying a bit of Starsan around the tap once you have removed it from the water bath though.

So there's NO chance of water going in through the tap? Hmmm... I may have to build a bigger water bath so that I can fit the FV with a tap into it. Atm, I am just using a big tub thing I found at ASDA for £3 :rofl:

Runwell-Steve said:
If water could get in through the tap then surely beer would be able to get out of the tap.

Your FV must be water tight or it would leak.

Yea, not thinking straight as I've been at w**k too long today I think. :oops: :oops:

i got a syphon from wilkinsons and then added a bit of pipe on the end of the tap bit, i fill the pipe with videne solution and close the tap, i then put the pipe in my fermenter and put the other end of it in a jug, open the tap and hey presto it creates a syphon effect :), once my solution has come through i close the tap, then put it in my keg or bottles and open it back up :)

This is exactly what I am planning on doing next month: two 25l FVs with a tap on each.
Not only is it easier and cleaner to bottle/keg, but it's bound to reduce the risk of infection when testing the SG during fermentation.

Cyclops said:
i got a syphon from wilkinsons and then added a bit of pipe on the end of the tap bit, i fill the pipe with videne solution and close the tap, i then put the pipe in my fermenter and put the other end of it in a jug, open the tap and hey presto it creates a syphon effect :), once my solution has come through i close the tap, then put it in my keg or bottles and open it back up :)

Ah, obvious once you've been told. I may adopt this method.
Except I do rather enjoy the little sneak taste I get starting the syphon. I figure my mouth only touches the outside of the tap, and the booze only touches the inside - and I run a bit off into a glass to make sure anything that was sitting in the tubing is flushed through. Then I get to drink that bit.

Back