Re-using videne solution for 'must' stirring spoon???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals

Just a thought, save me making up a new solution of videne each time I need to sanitise my turkey baster to take a sample,
would videne keep in a container for say 3-4 days enough time for me to take consequtive hydrometer readings?

Also what about my plastic spoon where I have to stir a must for 10 days, do you snaitise it every day in a new solution?

Many thanks

HLA91

Air tight is the main thing, i have some in a spray bottle and it retains its colour for weeks, if i expose it to air it lasts a few hours.

Ahh, so I could make up a 2 litre batch and then once I sterilise my spoon I can pop its in a plastic bottle and use it for a couple of days then is it?

What does everyone else do when they need to stir must for a number of consecutive days

HLA91 said:
What does everyone else do when they need to stir must for a number of consecutive days
I leave the spoon in the bucket for the duration.

I did think of that but the spoon doesnt fit in the FV, its a Youngs 3 gallon job.
I'm considering cutting the end off of the spoon to shorten it and then sealing the open end in some way.
That is unless someone has anotehr suggestion?

HLA91 said:
I did think of that but the spoon doesnt fit in the FV, its a Youngs 3 gallon job.
I'm considering cutting the end off of the spoon to shorten it and then sealing the open end in some way.
That is unless someone has anotehr suggestion?

a wooden spoon that you could leave in?

But I think a wooden spoon has the potential to absorb some of the must leaving a smell on the spoon that would render it useless? Just trying to think of a way of sealing the sawn off end of the spoon so the inside won't harbour bacteria.
Lighter and pliers maybe?

Sealing the end? The inside? What inside?

What sort of spoon are you using? If it's the HBS standard long-handled white plastic Young's variety then it should have a solid shaft. I have a long-handled Stainless spoon which is just right for my 10 litre kitchen caddies.

Ok, I started typing then went away and tried something. You're absoltely right, that white plastic spoon is about two inches too long for a 3 gallon bucket. As I've only just bought a new one last weekend, I just scored around the shaft of the old one with a Stanley knife and then snapped it at the score. Solid shaft, clean break.

Nunfa1: Wooden spoons are an absolute :nono: unless you're stirring a boiling must or sugar syrup.

Solid! Well I would have sworn otherwise with the weight and feel of them, and yes I am on about the youngs long white one. Well that's sorted then those extra inches will be off today, thanks for the info.
I still have to see this solid inside to believe it though, unbelievable.

Back to the videne issue, do you make up a new solution for your turkey baster each time you need to take consecutive daily readings?

I never take consecutive daily readings, but I am happy to re-use Videne solution over a period of a couple of days and while it still has any colour to it.

Come on though, I paid about eight quid for mine (could probably get it cheaper next time) and measure it out with a small syringe. That's working out at 2.4p per litre of solution, so I think I can afford to chuck it and mix fresh.

True about the price, the only reason I need consecutive readings is for my beer which is still producing enough gas to bulge the lid of the fv 12 days after mixing, strange.

The old guide to go by is if it has colour then it is safe to use . . . however, I prefer to make up a new solution each time. . . .I left my bottling gun in videne solution and the amount of clouding due to bacterial contamination is surprising after a few days.

If you want your working strength Videne solution to last make it up with pure water, and add a few drops of phosphoric acid to it (Ideally to take the pH to 3.0 or less), Store it in a dark container, in a cool place. . . . I would never pour a 'contaminated' solution back into this working solution either . . . down the drain it goes.

Latest posts

Back