Red dog bad cat imperial red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveE82

Reaction score
So just an update I started brewing red dog about 11 days ago, the instructions and box say it should reach 7.5%.

I read on this forum and saw pictures with hydrometer reads at SG 1.070, when I tested my SG it was only 1.058 the instructions didn't say to add sugar and when I tasted it at its SG it was mega sweet sweeter than any I'd tasted out of a kit before.

So 11 days in and my gravity reading is at 1.010 with an abv of 6.29%, is there any chance with more time that the gravity will drop past 1.010 I looked and to get it to what the box says 7.5% it would need to drop to 1.001! Which I know won't happen.

I'm a little confused why my starting SG was only 1.058 and the other two independent pictures from different sites were 1.070.

Anyway my main question is would you add the two bags of hops now or wait a little longer I tested the gravity yesterday and samples that and it tastes really nice

Thanks Dave

If it has got down to 1.010, its unlikely to go much further and you are probably safe to add the dry hops now. I couldn't find any reference to the 1.070 OG, but the Home Brew Shop lists it as having an expected OG of 1.061, not far off your experience. Just run with it and enjoy a slightly less alcoholic beer.

If it has got down to 1.010, its unlikely to go much further and you are probably safe to add the dry hops now. I couldn't find any reference to the 1.070 OG, but the Home Brew Shop lists it as having an expected OG of 1.061, not far off your experience. Just run with it and enjoy a slightly less alcoholic beer.

Ah thanks, I'm wondering if the ones I have seen have added sugar but I think anywhere between 6 and 7 abv is more than enjoyable, thanks for the advice the hops for this kit are tea bag and boil them adding the water and the tea bag to the brew afterwards so looking forward to that as doing it that way is new to me 🤞

Latest posts

Back