Relocating with a cat!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curryholic

Reaction score
Evening all,

In the next few weeks we are moving house from the White Rose (aka Yorkshire) down to the South West, haven't found it yet on a map ;) with our family moggy!

Now like most cats her prefered mode is 4 paws and she meowls when we take her to the vets, so I would anticipate that doing a 200+/4hr drive will be quite disturbing/upsetting for her. Anyone got any ideas what to do? Is there any kind of soothing type of scent that we can have in the car (obviously that won't affect me as driver!!!) or anything?

Thanks,
dave

My daughter lived in Chicago for 2 years and bought a cat while there which she bought back with her. Eight hours in a cargo hold of a plane. She survived. Should have seen her move when they opened the box, run upstairs jumped on top of a wardrobe and didn't move for 3 hours.

When you arrive rub butter on its paws, it'll stop it from making its way back oop north, Apparently.
The old woman down the road used to tell us that. She was a bit demented though.

The best advice would be to try her with smaller journeys building in duration until the move, time may be tight though.
You can get essential oils specifically for pets in transit. If there's a possibility of her reacting badly to the travelling your vet will prescribe a 'relaxant' :thumb:

8 Hour Journey with cat in car . . . . Just loads of noise for the first 2 hours until we got on the motorway . . . . . . Then there was a very unwelcome noise . . .

. . . . The bstard got it's own back by crapping everywhere in its travel cage . . . apart from the litter tray.

It's a long way to service stations sometimes :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

we moved 2 80 miles, Layla, a 2 kilo siamese spent the journey in a cat box without making any noise. Dylan, her 1 stone son, spnt the whole journey in a large dog cage, on the front seat of my transit. he didn't really enjoy the journey, but was quiet thoughout.

i wouldn't recomend drugging an animal at all, unless instructed to by a vet. you may wish to consult a vet on this matter.

Cheers guys, I'm thinking LOTS of waterproof sheeting/blankets and a fair bit of fussing once we get moved.

Brizleciderarmy - we're moving just east of you so you'll hear us coming!!!

Could you not tie them to the bumper and let them run along behind. You wouldn't hear the noise then!

crofty83 said:
Could you not tie them to the bumper and let them run along behind. You wouldn't hear the noise then!

Tut tut, you will offend a lot of members with comments like that. Bloody funny though.

dennisking said:
crofty83 said:

Tut tut, you will offend a lot of members with comments like that. Bloody funny though.

Offend???

We've had cats for 30 years - I nearly choked with homebrew laughing at this thread, including that last post :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's just a cat man dennis :roll:

:whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

meow :!:

Seriously though, this is a family cat and there is an easy solution ;)

Leave it with the new owners of your house.

Buy a similar looking one (and give it the same name) when you arrive at your new house.

Simples.... ;)

purrrrrrr........ :mrgreen:

Leave the cat behind, It'll save falling out with the new neighbours when it starts ******** in their garden. :thumb:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Leave the cat behind, It'll save falling out with the new neighbours when it starts to ******** in their garden. :thumb:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: great minds BB............... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best tip I can give is to travel down in 2 vehicles and make sure you are in the one that the cats aren't!

Don't know where you are headed but welcome to the SW, half my family originated from Pudsey and Bradford.

You could try Feliway spray. Give puddy's carrier a good spritz of this and a bit of a spritz in the car too...

...never used it for travelling but it does work for stopping them p***ing on the furniture - the principle is the same through, they do it because they are stressed and unhappy.

http://www.feliway.com

oldstout said:
Seriously though, this is a family cat and there is an easy solution ;)

Leave it with the new owners of your house.

Buy a similar looking one (and give it the same name) when you arrive at your new house.

Simples.... ;)

purrrrrrr........ :mrgreen:

Hmm, probably the best suggestion yet :rofl:

Latest posts

Back