Safe infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan

Reaction score
Anyone know exactly what this is?

I was about to ditch it but I remembered some people consider some infections fine if they aren't affecting the taste. It still smells alright... not tasted it yet though. Maybe it's the same kinda mould you get on some cheeses?

Pkzr767.jpg

images

no such thing as a safe infection normally.
Rack it off into a new fv and you might be able to leave it behind...whatever it is

Well I could rack from the bottom to my keg and I might as well leave the top 5 litres as it won't all fit in my empty keg anyway. Do you know what kind of infections are dangerous?

i would do exactly what you plan to do, leave the last 5 litres behind. graysalchemy saved a brew that way. your infection is almost definitely no good.

Currently drinking one that got the same, tastes fine. Most of the white film sticks to the side of the fermenter. I tastes a bit from the side of the fermenter and it tasted dry but tasteless.

I have had this infection three times. On two of those it was not a sanitation issue as the beer was in the fermemter for over week, I opened it and it was fine, several days later I opened it and it was infected. If it had of been a sanitation issue I would have expected it to exist in the fermenter before it was opened the first time. Unless it was in there, but dormant for lack of O2 and opening the FV allowed enough O2 in for it to multiply.... but as CO2 is heavier than air and I wasn't blowing into the FV, this is dubious. So, no idea where it comes from.

The third happened in a clearing bucket in a mater of 2 days from when it was racked.

I am told that nothing that will grow in fermented beer is harmful to humans. I'm working on the assumption this is true.

PaulCa said:
I am told that nothing that will grow in fermented beer is harmful to humans. I'm working on the assumption this is true.

I have read that too so assume all infections are safe, well you won't die at least ;)
Whether they are beneficial to the flavour though depends on what you are looking for.

piddledribble said:
how longs a piece of string ?

Equal lengths either side from the middle. :geek: :hat:

Well I kegged it last night and tried some when it had cooled down and it tastes disgusting and not hoppy like it's supposed to. I'll give it a couple weeks at low temp and see if anything changes.

That can still be OK.
What was it supposed to be and describe what was the flavour was like?

I think the term is 'no known pathogens can exist in beer'

Notice the disclaimer :D

Latest posts

Back