Separate kit for mixed ferm, Brett etc?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Ello all.....

Had a bit of a break (nearly a year) and want to get back in to it again.

I want to start experimenting with funkier and/or true sour styles. Question is do I need a separate/dedicated system? Issue is, the only system I have is the G30 and conical fermenter. Was hoping with the correct approach to cleaning etc I could knock up something interesting then a couple of months later knock up a standard APA (for example) with no detrimental effect. Basically use my system for all and sundry.

What do you reckon? It's a goer, or no chance...

Ta in advance

Last edited:
You wouldn't need a new kettle. Even if kettle souring, the boil would kill off any lactobacillus.

For fermenting, I have a couple of plastic ones I use for bacteria/brett batches. However, if you have a stainless fermenter with a decent cleaning regime (read hot) the liklihood of contaminanting a "clean" batch is quite low.

Last edited:
IMG_u299z8.jpg

No issues here from following the advice from this post on another forum. Separate kit would obviously be better, though.

There's some good advice, here.

https://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Like the idea of just keeping on top of cleaning and using the same kit.

when my plastic kit is due for replacement that's when I brew a sour. So I noticed white stress mark on my FV so it's time to brew a raspberry and pineapple (fruit salad chew) sour. 10% pureed raspberry and 10% pineapple juice. 3kg of extralight dme, 500g lactose dregs from boon marriage parfait and juice from fage greek yogurt.

Thanks all.

So here is a thought. Could I brew a saison with a saison yeast in my GF conical. Once fermented (or a few points off) transfer to a plastic bucket and add Brett (at room temp)? Leave for X amount of time to do it's thing?

Back