Silly questions from the Colonials

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next silly question.

Chav? What exactly is it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Chav is actually a gypsy word which just means `young man'. Normally used by non-gypsies to describe undesirable youngsters.

Hi!
This is a typical chav.

image.jpeg

Like the one in the Hovis ads... Many years ago I bought this smart-looking pushbike to save on petrol and to do my bit in fighting climate change (lol) etc. but I piled it on my very first trip to work on the damn thing. The left pedal had hit the kerb whilst rounding a corner and the back wheel ended up banana-shaped. So I chucked it a nearby front garden and continued my journey on foot. Never thought about getting another.

I otfen wondered how I woke up to a bike with a bent wheel in my garden :wha: as i'd not cycled for years. I replaced the rear wheel and took up cycling again, you've changed my life. Now I know the original owner and that I hadn't bought it or pinched it on a drunken whim, cycled home and crashed! :thumb:

Do you want it back ? - I'll have to charge you for the wheel I bought though :lol:

So, I've been mostly in a reading mode, trying to absorb homebrewing from a UK point of view.

Versus cluttering up other threads I figured I'd ask my silly questions here.

I'm familiar with some slang and colloquialisms from owning a couple British motorcycles over the years, as the Triumph and Norton forums tend to be probably 40% US, 30% UK, 10% Aus/NZ among the active members.

What is a pushbike? Here it is sometimes used for a pushcart/bicycle hybrid used by urban deliverymen and food vendors. (I live in Virginia Beach, a tourist heavy area)

Contextually it seems to be a bicycle, but assuming things where different English dialects are involved can be fraught with peril, as I learned years ago working oil rigs with Englishmen, Scotsmen, Australians, New Zelanders, Canadians and a couple Bahamians.

We all officially spoke English and none of us understood each other.

So... Have you learned anything about home brewing ???

I've learned a few styles mentioned that I hadn't heard before.

Which led to more research. Which led to wishing I had a beer.

At school we didn't always call them push bikes. We'd often call them shove irons instead. The kids these days have no imagination.

I'm sitting at Amsterdam Schipol Airport, and I believe I may have actually encountered Chavs in the wild.

Didn't take a picture was more interested in searching for Lambic.

Back