Similar flavour - water or kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi. I like the results of my homebrew kits, but after kegging 6 different ones, I start to find a similar trait through most of my kits. Yesterday 1 guest said my Muntons Smugglers was similar to my Wooodfords Admirals, then later a different guest (dad) said my St Peters Ruby Red was similar to my Woodfords Wherry.

It's a bit like changing the topping on a Pizza; same pizza, different flavour. So is this typical of kits, or can I make a big change with water? I did find that the one Brewferm kit I produced did taste very different, so I just wonder if it's because much of the malt extract is mass produced in the same place.

My tap water is pretty much free from chlorine but is hard. I'm thinking a Brita filter might be called for.

Fore said:
It's a bit like changing the topping on a Pizza; same pizza, different flavour.

That's about the size of it.

I would suggest it's time for you to get into modifying kits.

Instead of just water to make up the wort, try boiling up some hops in the biggest pot you have and use that.

Dry hopping makes a world of difference to kit beer.

Then there are steeped grains...

OK thanks. At least I know it's not a fault of mine then.

During my previous brewing incarnation, I did do one brew with bought water and it did change a lot, just that I didn't like it at all; turned out sort of greasy.

So, you recommend the slippery slope then. Where will it end... a Braumeister :shock:.

Will still try a Brita in the meantime, as it won't be a lost purchase. Not expecting too much then.

As it happens, I just popped out, and when I returned my dad's beer was still sitting there but not mine. I told him he'd drunk my beer and he replied "not at all, you might not be able to tell the difference between your beers but I can". So I started drinking the one left and sure enough it was his. Mine was Woodford's Wherry and his was Brewferm Diabolo, so that kills the idea that Brewferm are a lot different.

what about yeast and brewing temps , they can make a difference to the final brew

Back