Slow forced carbonation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyryan22

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I'm an Irishman living in Canada. Just got into brewing recently. I work 2 week rotations in the oilfield so my timing has to be perfect. I'm starting into all grain soon. Just building my brewery at the moment. Electric controllers etc.
At the moment I have a brew fermenting (quick and nasty brew kit) and should be ready to keg when I get back. I've never kegged before but I have all the equipment.
I'm going on holidays the day after I get home from work and I'll be gone for 3 weeks. My question is: if I'm leaving it this long, what's the best pressure to leave it sit at? Co2 tank connected or disconnected? Fridge or not?? I want it so I can drink it when I return from holidays.
Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

This depends on the carbonation you're looking for. If you look here;
http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

it works it out for you... E.g. if you want it carbed to 2.5 volumes of Co2 (for a lager say) and the fridge is 2c, set the regulator to 10 psi and leave it for a few weeks. Easy as!

Alternatively, you could do the more popular roll & shake technique, and leave it for a few weeks not connected to the gas. A lot of people do this anyway and just hook the gas back up if the pressure drops and won't dispense.

Personally, if it were me, I'd hook it up, set to desired psi based on the calculator and knock it down to serving pressure when I got back. Easy

Thanks for that. My connectors didn't come so I just bottled. Got another batch in the primary so I'll be kegging that one. Thanks for the info.

Back