Smell Good (interesting (well to me))

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornyandy

Reaction score
I've just got a Mash on in the trusty cool box.

2KG MO Pale
2KG Munich type 1
1 KG Vienna
250g Torrefied Wheat
250g Pale Crystal

Hops will be

90 Mins

15g Northern Brewer
15g Cascade

20g First Gold last 15 mins
Whirlfloc

Thinking of fermenting with a SafeAle US 05

IBU roughly 37, ABV roughly 5 and a bit.

However the point I want to make is the difference in aroma as the mash went in. It was much much richer than my standard all Maris as a base malt. Even Mother noticed the difference. I think this will be a class brew

I've just got a Mash on in the trusty cool box.

2KG MO Pale
2KG Munich type 1
1 KG Vienna
250g Torrefied Wheat
250g Pale Crystal

Hops will be

90 Mins

15g Northern Brewer
15g Cascade

20g First Gold last 15 mins
Whirlfloc

Thinking of fermenting with a SafeAle US 05

IBU roughly 37, ABV roughly 5 and a bit.

However the point I want to make is the difference in aroma as the mash went in. It was much much richer than my standard all Maris as a base malt. Even Mother noticed the difference. I think this will be a class brew

Mothers always right.:mrgreen:

Well, I reckon it most certainly should smell different - for me that's a huge percentage of Munich, and even a lot of Vienna.
It will definitely be way different to a mash just using Maris Otter.
Keep an eye on your OG - Munich has the reputation of being low on enzymes due to the high kilning temperature.
Not sure what the addition of light crystal is going to give you here - the Munich & Vienna should be enough.
Should certainly be malty, though! :)

Okay maybe I have got away with good conversions, I do find that my cool box is quite efficient. OG on this was 1.053, Brewers Friend gave me an estimate of 1.051 can't complain at that.

A

Okay this has just gone into bottle, (I did decide to add a load of those finishing hops cos I had them it got 12g of Amarillo and Centennial and 24 g of Topaz. Cos I had them and as it was fermented with SO-5 it seemed opportune to use them). It seems as though it will be a really special hoppy pale ale. It's towards being an APA but with more richness to it. (that's only a sip on bottling day mid but the indicators are good)

Well, I reckon it most certainly should smell different - for me that's a huge percentage of Munich, and even a lot of Vienna.
It will definitely be way different to a mash just using Maris Otter.
Keep an eye on your OG - Munich has the reputation of being low on enzymes due to the high kilning temperature.
Not sure what the addition of light crystal is going to give you here - the Munich & Vienna should be enough.
Should certainly be malty, though! :)

Vienna is certainly ok to use as part of your base malts. I've used half and half Pale and Vienna and the results are delicious, right up my street. I'll send certainly be doing it again.

Back