Smoky tasting ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Robinson

Reaction score
I don't get it.

I am very disciplined observing successful procedures while brewing my pale ale from original ingredients. I always boil for 2 hours, and get a fine hot break. Suddenly, with one single brew, the wort stinks of smoke. There is no sign of burning anywhere.

I perservered, and have bottled the stuff, and I think it is marginally drinkable. If not I shall pour it down the sink; but can anyone suggest an explanation? Why should I suddenly get a smoky brew? My suspicion is that the hops were not Goldings (which I always use, and from the same supplier) but something else.

Does anyone know of a smoky tasting hop, or perhaps have an explanation for this problem?

Was it the little known Embassy Regal hop?

:sick: :sick: :sick: :nono:

;)

I have never encountered a "smoky" hop, and I've brewed with just about every US variety available from '99 until now.

Smoke is not really an off flavor of anything I recognize right off the bat, but maybe a little more detail will help. Is it smokey like BBQ smokey, or smokey like camp fire smokey? Are you sure it's smokey and not "hot" meaning a lot of fusel alcohols? Also, which yeast did you use? Some yeasts depending in strain and temp can create some smoked salmon flavors in the beer.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497581,-120.853027

artiums_enteri said:
Is it smokey like BBQ smokey, or smokey like camp fire smokey?

Also, which yeast did you use? Some yeasts depending in strain and temp can create some smoked salmon flavors in the beer.
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497581,-120.853027

Camp fire smoke. It isn't the yeast; I smelled the smoke at the end of the boil.

There are 3 causes that I can think of

1) excessive use of chocolate / black malt - I guess it is no this if you are following your normal recipe

2) using a mash tun with an element where grain has been scorched by the element

3) the boiler element has scorched the wort either by being on before completely submerged or having a lot of dried residue caked on from previous brews

What malt did you use, and did that come from your usual supplier?

adomant said:
There are 3 causes that I can think of

1) excessive use of chocolate / black malt - I guess it is no this if you are following your normal recipe

2) using a mash tun with an element where grain has been scorched by the element

3) the boiler element has scorched the wort either by being on before completely submerged or having a lot of dried residue caked on from previous brews

No chocolate or dark malt in it.

I use a suspended bag when mashing to keep the malt from the heater. There was no sign of contact or scorching there, and there was no smell when I finished mashing; so i have discounted that possibility.

I recently had the heater out and cleaned it thoroughly. As you rightly say, there can be a thick crust of baked residue otherwise; but the heat element is clean.

Moley said:
What malt did you use, and did that come from your usual supplier?

Muntons pale malt. The previous and subsequent brews were from the same sack of malt, and they are fine.

No signs of scorching anywhere, the malt is fine ........... all I can think of is that there was a problem with the hops.

Well just to finish the story off, I am drinking the stuff now, it isn't bad enough to throw away. The smoky smell has virtually gone, but the initial taste and after taste is a bit like kippers. In between is my normal pale ale taste.

I am fairly convinced that the hop supplier has either mixed something up and I have a hop I am not used to, or that perhaps a batch of hops was somehow contaminated with smoke while drying.

Back