sneaky taster Wherry lovely indeed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyh

Regular.
Reaction score
After a 15 day stint in the FV and 12 days in the warm in bottle and mini keg, I have transferred my Woodforde's Wherry Real Ale (that I did with a Fuggles hop tea addition) out to the garage for a bit of cold.

I put a little in a small coke bottle so I could see if it was carbonating, and this had been sat in the fridge for a couple of days... well I decided to give it a little try and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Really easy to drink, and left me wanting more... shame I can't have any more for a week at least :cry: But it'll be worth the wait.

Made the first kit I did, a Caxtons Real Ale, seem shoddy even given the extended time it has had conditioning. This one has none of the "homebrew" edge to it, and I would certainly be happy were I served it in the pub.

Whilst I have moved onto BIAB AG now (my first attempt is smelling lovely in the FV at present and I've drawn up my second recipe to have a bash at next week), I would certainly entertain another of the Wherry Real Ale kits made with the hop tea addition as a simple way of producing a 40 pint batch of very drinkable beer indeed. :thumb:

Great to hear you're enjoying the Wherry J :drink:
I would certainly entertain another of the Wherry Real Ale kits made with the hop tea addition as a simple way of producing a 40 pint batch of very drinkable beer indeed. :thumb:
As an AG brewer I too make this kit when 'caught short' it's an o.k pint...but wait ti'll you try your BIAB :whistle: :lol: :drink:

Vossy1 said:
Great to hear you're enjoying the Wherry J :drink:
I would certainly entertain another of the Wherry Real Ale kits made with the hop tea addition as a simple way of producing a 40 pint batch of very drinkable beer indeed. :thumb:
As an AG brewer I too make this kit when 'caught short' it's an o.k pint...but wait ti'll you try your BIAB :whistle: :lol: :drink:

hahaha I can't wait... but I must, April 3rd is its debut date (Birthday)

please be a good pint, please be a good pint :pray: :D

Im olanning to start a Wherry this weekend... now this may sound like a thick question to others but how did you do your fuggles hop tea? how much did you use? what was the process etc?

Apologies but ive only ever done 1 kit before (bout 4 years ago).

For my hop tea addition,, I did the following.

Fuggles hop tea - boiled 15gms for 12 mins in 3 litres water, then added 20gms, lid on and steeped for 30 mins

I used a sieve to filter the resultant brew into the wort once in the FV and then topped up with cold water to the 23l mark.

Nothing more involved than that :thumb:

I've had a Wherry in the fermenting fridge for a couple of days now since bottling my first homebrew in around 25 years (coopers cerveza).

Got to say every time I open the fridge for a peek at what's going on in the bucket it really does smell good! if It tastes as good as it smells I think I'm going to enjoy it.

With 2 brews that I can't drink yet I really begrudged buying more in the supermarket today. Found myself looking at the bottles as much as the beer in them :)

I bought 2 wherry kits in dunelm so maybe next time I might try the hops too. I can see a slippery slope ahead.

hehehe I do the same now when in the supermarket, I look at what beers are on offer that come in a useful bottle :rofl:

as an update, I cracked open one of the bottles of this brew and can happily report that whilst still a bit young...

It tastes fantastic! and you can really get the fuggles hops in it, love it :cheers: :thumb:

Back