Sparkling Wine Query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Regular.
Reaction score
If I let a wine ferment out then rack it into demi johns to clear before bottling and priming with a little sugar, will it be clear and fizzy?
Will there be enough yeast left in the wine to give a good secondary fermentation ??

Yes, priming a wine will work and if you haven't stabilised there will always be a few yeasties which will take an interest in the extra bit of sugar you've added.

But, don't overdo it, aim for a gentle spritz and not a fizz. You will get a light bottle sediment and it won't compact like a bottle conditioned beer, so there's a good chance it will get stirred up when you open the bottle.

Above all, use sparkling wine or proper champagne bottles. Plastic bottles (e.g. 500ml cola or litre spirit mixers) will work too if you're not bothered about aesthetics.

If you want clear, fizzy wine you've got do the champenoise bit with upside-down bottles, freezing the sediment in the neck of the bottle, followed by disgorgement. Either that or force carbonate.

Cheers Moley.....you have confirmed my thoughts.
I'm going to do the 'champenoise' method but using 750ml clear swing top bottles.
Any recommendation as to the amount of sugar per 750ml bottle??
As you say I don't want a massive eruption just a gentle fizz.

No idea, I would guess 1 tsp of sugar to the bottle ought to work.

I've only used the ‘prime and serve slightly cloudy’ method, adding 40ml white grape juice to the bottle.

I'm brewing the sparkling for SWMBO so the 'prime and serve slightly cloudy' method will get me a good kicking I'm afraid !!

Latest posts

Back