Has anyone tried 'improving' colour of apple wine with food additive?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burton

Reaction score
I've just finished fermenting, stabilising and clearing my annual apple wine.
Due to the close attention of a family of squirrels my Cox's Orange Pippin tree has been decimated of fruit this year, and so I visited the local feral trees on a nearby patch of common land, and collected a good haul, plus a few pears.
They fermented out quite quickly (on a heat mat)to 0.998, but when racked, the wine is almost completely colourless.
I would like to give it a small blush, but when I have previously tried this, using a drop or two of Red food colourant (PME brand) the colour settles out after few weeks.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add a permanent glow to my batch?

Attachments

• applepearwine-2023.jpg
    applepearwine-2023.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4
Idea for next year: Find a red crab apple tree & add some of them to the mix.

I got a nice pink blush to this year's cider as the crabapple had a bumper harvest.
Good to know - there are a few roadside crabs I could get to next year, I'll give it a go.

100 percent black currant juice in very small amounts adds a nice pink hue to applewine that wont fade and doesn't really affect the taste.
Good info - I've found small 100% bottles on eBay for £6.50 - I'd be willing to try this out.
Only niggle is 'naturally occuring sugars' - not enough in a few drops to kick off fermentation, surely?
Other than that - referring back to my OP regarding the avoidance of sediment, I might be back where I wanted not to be with the juice - see the label "Sediment is a natural phenomenon"

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
Good to know - there are a few roadside crabs I could get to next year, I'll give it a go.
I wasn't originally planning to use crab apples, but I needed a couple of extra litres & they were only available source.
We tasted them expecting them to be very sharp, but were surprised to find them sweet & the tree had a bumper crop, so we couldn't miss the opertunity.

Latest posts

Back