squidgy packet czech pilsner horrible

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispurvis

Reaction score
Hi all. Brewed up a better brew czech pilsner from the squidgy packet a few weeks back.
2 weeks in fv at usuall temps. Cant remember the gravity readings but they were as expected.
Anyhowz being a homebrewer i often sample my beer upon bottling then mid week then at 1 week. Then every week there after untill about 6-8 weeks where i then get through them ;)
But the problem is my pilsner at only a week old doesnt resemble any beer/larger tastes at all. Its simply horrible to drink. Not sour or infected. Just horrible.
All my previous beers have tasted ok ish at 1 week.
Any one else done this kit? How long did it take to taste like beer?
Cheers all
chris

I have..I thought the brew was excellent...as is the Yorkshire bitter....most seem to like these Better Brew kits....can't think what has happened

Whilst i dont taste my brew at any stage shorter than 5 weeks in the bottle/keg etc , i cant really comment. But what i will say, is the Better Brew Czech lager i have brewed is by far the best kit lager i have tried.....and i'm more of an ale drinker.........Would maybe suggest you give it a few weeks, pretty sure if all is well you'll change your mind.....

"I would give up beer, but i'm no quitter" :thumb:

Really hope you chaps are right. Have high expectations for this kit.
but if all fails ive got 40 pints of golden stagg, wherry and tom caxtons dark ale coming along nicely :)

Presumably the kit uses a lager yeast and you had to ferment it at a lower temperature (...asks the man who doesn't like, and therefore doesn't brew, lager!)?

Are you going to 'lager' your lager now, if you see what I mean. Isn't this what gives the beer it's characteristics?

Perhaps that Brewers friend, patience, is the answer?

Better Brew appears to use a lager yeast that can operate at normal fermentation temperatures.

They advise on the packet that using a low temp. will result in no noticeable gain in taste or quality.

There is a big discussion on this lager on the beer kit review pages.

That doesn't sound like a proper bottom fermenting later yeast then?

So it might not taste like lager made with a proper bottom fermenting later yeast?

No it's not a bottom fermenting yeast...but it does taste like a lager...see the kit thread on the forum

Back