Starsan issue when kegging?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
Hey!

I've kegged a cerveza after sanitising my corny with starsan solution. Unfortunately, after emptying I didn't rinse, and added my brew on top of the foam that was left..

I've force carbed, and the beer seems to be carbed up properly, but there's no head at all - is this an issue starsan causes?

Have you had good head from your set up in the past? Anything changed in terms of pressure and set up?

I normally burst carb and then drop to 15psi to serve, but my latest lager was pressure fermented so didn't burst as it was already rather fizzy. I've dropped back to 7psi to serve as I was getting huge head and flat beer. The lower pressure seems to give less head (but still plenty) and a beer with more sparkle. Def worth trying a different pressure for a bit.

The StarSan shouldn't be an issue, after all it's supposed to be a no-rinse sanitiser and that's exactly how I use it - pour a large slug of it into my keg, lid on, give it a good shake, leave for a few mins, pour it out but usually some foam left, keg beer. If you rinse it off you're just putting potentially unsanitary water back into it.

The issue is more likely with the brew, I had almost exactly this with a St. Peter's Honey Porter (average kit BTW) I made a while back, gassed up as usual in the keg but when pouring had to let it splash into the glass to get any sort of head which rapidly disappeared within a few minutes. The beer was fizzy, pretty much same amount of bubbles as anything else I make but zero head retention.

Have you had good head from your set up in the past? Anything changed in terms of pressure and set up?

I normally burst carb and then drop to 15psi to serve, but my latest lager was pressure fermented so didn't burst as it was already rather fizzy. I've dropped back to 7psi to serve as I was getting huge head and flat beer. The lower pressure seems to give less head (but still plenty) and a beer with more sparkle. Def worth trying a different pressure for a bit.

I'm only on my third brew with the corny, after bottling for a few years..

The only difference between the 3 brews has been the hops I've added - first batch was Zeus, second was Citra and this batch is Saaz.

All grain or a kit ?

Super clean glassware ?

What temp and keg pressure?
It's a Wilko cerveza kit, brewed with brewing sugar and 100g dry hop of Saaz. Brewed at a stable 19 degrees, controlled by an inkbird. Kegged into a corny and force carbed at 20psi/ 5 degrees for a week. Beer is 'almost' carbonated, but has no head at all..

@MonkeyMick

From my readings on the forums can be tricky to get " head " on some beer kits. It doesn't take much though to disrupt any head if the glass has any soap residue. Sounds like you have done the best to maximise the kits performance though. It might suddenly get there when it is at the right vols.

What vols of CO2 are you aiming for?

Using this ? or something similar?

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/

@MonkeyMick

From my readings on the forums can be tricky to get " head " on some beer kits. It doesn't take much though to disrupt any head if the glass has any soap residue. Sounds like you have done the best to maximise the kits performance though. It might suddenly get there when it is at the right vols.

What vols of CO2 are you aiming for?

Using this ? or something similar?

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/

I'm not technical or educated enough to be dealing with vols! I just set the gas and temperature, leave a few days and sample.... 🤔

@MonkeyMick
Not sure it's that technical but I'm lazy just decide what carbonation I need by the beer style and then the calculator tells me the pressure to set to and job done.
No tinkering required but if the trial and error works, go for it.

I accidentally left a pint of starsan in the corny and then filled it up with stout once.

The beer tasted fine and the keg was consumed with no issues at all.

Probably modified the pH nicely to give it that authentic dry stout tang.
I like to invert the keg when purged and pressured and then pull the valve to get the last liquid out. This also " sanitises " the valve.

Back