Starter Time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steamedbeech

Reaction score
Hi All, it looks as though I've got a brewday coming up next weekend and I'm keen to have a go at using liquid yeast. I've got a vial of White Labs WLP001 and have made up a stir plate that seems to work :pray:
1186087237_photobucket_106005_.jpg

I've been reading up on here looking on youtube and reading Jamils yeast book and it feels like my brains are running out of my ears :wha:
Anyway I plan to do a 69 litre brewlength and don't think the 1 lL conical I've got is going to be big enough, also assuming I get a bigger one (3L ?) would I be able to build up a single vial to the number of cells needed in a week ? Cheers Dan.

Just been reading the slow start thread and seemed to have got my answer from Pittsy , it would seem splits are the way to go first, so its a dried yeast brewday for me.
Thanks anyway Dan. :cheers:

where did you buy your conical and how did you make the stir plate ?

Steamedbeech said:
Just been reading the slow start thread and seemed to have got my answer from Pittsy , it would seem splits are the way to go first, so its a dried yeast brewday for me.
Thanks anyway Dan. :cheers:

You'll still need a starter with dried yeast. If you don't you'll just kill a load of yeast when you pitch.

Rehydrate it at the very least.

K

PD the Erlenmeyer flask and stir bar came from King scientific on ebay the speed controller was also from ebay, project box from maplins 220mmx 145mm x 65mm (might get that cheaper on ebay) a 125mm fan and some rubber feet from a dud pc, all powered by a 12v adaptor that was laying around . I had two adhesive backed magnets that were stuck to the fan the other builds I'd seen people just glued a steel washer on and then glued the magnets to that, I knew the sticky back magnets weren't very strong so a couple of rare earth mags added gave it a bit more oomph,the fan is mounted on bolts through the base of the box with nuts for adjustment up and down.
Cheers Dieseljockey its not so neat on the inside :whistle:
Kev, +1 to rehydrating dried yeast I had some Notty a couple of years ago that just sunk like grit in the measuring jug, dead as a wotnot. I think Oz11 is right about starters for dried yeast though I've read that on here and in Moshers book anyhow good work on the cry havoc :thumb:
Cheers Dan :cheers:

Latest posts

Back