strange brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
something very strange is happenng in my airing cupboard. About a fortnight ago I brewed a clone of Courage best bitter, and used a sachet of Nottingham yeast. It quickly started fermenting and slowed down and stopped after about 4 days which is pretty much normal for my brews. I've left the f.v in the airing cupboard and would normally transfer it to a keg after about a fortnight. Rather strangely a couple of days ago I noticed that it had started fermenting again, and quite vigorously at that, even starting to form a new head. I've never had this happen before, anyone got any ideas why/how it would start fermenting again?, the temperature is exactly the same. The only thing i did notice was that the yeast smelt slightly different than normal, other than that everything else is as it usually is. very odd!

I wonder if something else has got in there and started working on your beer. Could you take a gravity reading? If its dropping below where you expected it to be, then deffo something else is chewing on the residual sugars.

smells very good, so i don't think anything unpleasant has got in there still seems to be fermenting away, will update when it stops and i keg it and take a gravity reading

Latest posts

Back