Disaster beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herms bay

I'll Die trying.
Reaction score
Have had some success recently but had a bit of a lapse this week, tiding the garage whilst brewing is not the best idea as one thing has to suffer and in this case its the beer.
Started a 50l batch of bitter along the 2 row with crystal malt and chocolate malt route and was going to add cane sugar to the boil.
Long and the short of it is, when mashing, I mis-set my PID on the herms and ended up mashing at 64C not 68..didn't notice at first until end of mash and started heating for sparge. Carried on and transferred, boiled with hops and added sugar.
OG was 1.046 and now the problem, FG is at 1.002 after a week. (ale yeast from Malt miller so prob notty)
Is this totally pants or am I just going to get the driest bitter known to man. Is it worth carrying on and is there anything I can do before the ferment is bottled/kegged.
Smells ok but dry as a bone.

It hasn't fully settled yet but it tastes ok, actually quite good, just not what I was aiming for. Think I'll just keg that one and hand pump it rather than go through the palaver of bottling it. Just in case

dissolve it in cold to cool water not warm,. i have never added it after fermentation but it will def gives some body and a tad of sweetness to "undry" your beer. it doesnt get fermented so it shouldnt be a problem to add it to keg i just dont have that experience and havent googled it to see if others have tried the same thing.

I am putting 30l in a pressure barrel and the other 12l in 24 bottles.
Am I alright putting priming sugar, Malltodexin and Isinglass in the barrel and how much?
I usually leave for a couple of weeks after adding sugar etc, vent for a day or so, after that then put on hand pump using a CO aspirator. When we are finished for the day I divert 2psi Co2 on to the cask until next time. keeps me in cask type ale for weeks. (don't tell CAMRA)
I just have to remember to cut off the supply to the beer engine of it slowly pours out!!

I would taste test the maltodextrin in a pint. Adding a 1g at a time until you get the taste you want.
Then just do the math.

Priming sugar as normal.

Fining as normal.

Latest posts

Back