Stupid wine bottles...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commsbiff

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm finding it annoyingly difficult to get a reasonable supply of empty cork-type wine bottles. It appears the pubs n bars are using more and more of the screw-top variety.

As an experiment, I've just corked an empty bottle of a type that I can get my hands on easily. It's a Magners bottle :shock: Cork went in just as easily (or as dificult) as a wine bottle. My concerns are, as the neck is tapered:
will it pull the cork into the bottle,
or will the cork split,
or will it not be compressed enough?

What are your thoughts? :wha:

Still a newby to this kind of thing so take this with a huge pinch of salt but I would assume that if it's not making full contact with the neck you are not going to get the full amount of friction expected. :hmm:

You could test it by filling a bottle with water and leaving it upside in a pot and see if anything leaks out over a week or so. I would also try and push the cork in.

Either Bite the bullet and buy suitable bottles . . . or buy bottle with wine in them and empty them . . . over the course of several evenings / parties

Once you have them they are yours forever . . . . Unless like me you tip them into the bottle bins over several weeks .. . . then you decide to start bottling again :roll:

Cheers for your thoughts gents.

Moley said:
Why not just use a crown cap?
I had thought about this, but something was lurking at the back of my mind saying that I shouldn't. I'm not sure if I have read it on this forum or elsewhere. Crown caps may be a possibility though (for shortish [2-3 months?] storage) as I may go down the follwing route: Store in Demis until I want to drink some, then bottle only 1 demi of the wine and consume all bottles within a couple of months.

There's something in me (I'm half Scottish) that makes me tight when it comes to paying for empty bottles - it just seems wrong.

oh yeah... What does a cork provide that a crown cap cannot?

Do any of your friends or family drink wine?
Thats what ive started doing, another thing pubs are doing a lot of is using the "glass of wine measure" bottle which it tiny and useless and as i work in a bar this is of no use.

commsbiff said:
There's something in me (I'm half Scottish) that makes me tight when it comes to paying for empty bottles - it just seems wrong.
I should think not, bottles are a free commodity.

I am actually rather fortunate, a couple who live 3 doors away obviously drink a bottle of wine every night, they are brand loyal, theirs are corked bottles whose labels soak off easily, and I have permission to raid their recycling tub, so I get a matching case of empties every Monday morning.

However, the Scot a few generations back in my own ancestry objects to making a bottle of wine for 40p or less and then spending a further 6p on a cork which is going to be used once and then discarded.

Mrs. Mole had some orgasmic cider which came in very fancy bottles - tall, slender things far more like wine bottles than beer bottles, so they do get used for Wurzels.

Back