Where To Find Real Cork And Long Term Screw Cap Storage?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scream

Reaction score
I want to give a quick little backdrop to explain the real cork. I've been making wine for about a year now and I've been entertaining the idea of keeping a few bottles from every batch for a long period of time, we're talking twenty years and the minimal. Why? Purely for fun and because I can, plus I think it would be a fun experiment. Now with that being said I have tried doing my research, I've learnt that there are different types of cork and how they are made up. As of yet it looks like real cork, that being cork that is made up of completely real cork and uses natural glue as a binding is the best cork to go for with long term storage. I intend to sleeve the bottles as well if that makes any difference. With that being said am I misguided? I'm talking on a scientific / factual level rather than opinion. Don't mean to be rude but opinions don't interest me. Experience however does interest me. If I am not misguided where can I even obtain said cork? I've looked around and it all seems to be either completely synthetic or half and half.

With that out the way on to the screw caps.
What is the conclusion with screw caps? Someone was trying to sway me onto screw caps and I see the benefits such as reusability (Or not, you can but new sleves and caps every time), easy of use, overall cost. Now I don't disagree with those benefits. My concern is long term storage. The guy I was talking to claimed that he has stored wine for two years just fine. I'd read up about current studies testing how well they currently keep and more over that typically white wine stores fine because it matures quicker and is usually drunk quicker over reds.

I have got several bottles of well aged wine (12 - 15 years old.)
From experience, I have found that the standard wine corks such as *****************************/catalogue/accessories/corks/straight-corks-std-100s-770-detail work the best. Obviously storing the bottles on their sides to keep the corks swollen.

I want to give a quick little backdrop to explain the real cork. I've been making wine for about a year now and I've been entertaining the idea of keeping a few bottles from every batch for a long period of time, we're talking twenty years and the minimal. Why? Purely for fun and because I can, plus I think it would be a fun experiment. Now with that being said I have tried doing my research, I've learnt that there are different types of cork and how they are made up. As of yet it looks like real cork, that being cork that is made up of completely real cork and uses natural glue as a binding is the best cork to go for with long term storage. I intend to sleeve the bottles as well if that makes any difference. With that being said am I misguided? I'm talking on a scientific / factual level rather than opinion. Don't mean to be rude but opinions don't interest me. Experience however does interest me. If I am not misguided where can I even obtain said cork? I've looked around and it all seems to be either completely synthetic or half and half.

With that out the way on to the screw caps.
What is the conclusion with screw caps? Someone was trying to sway me onto screw caps and I see the benefits such as reusability (Or not, you can but new sleves and caps every time), easy of use, overall cost. Now I don't disagree with those benefits. My concern is long term storage. The guy I was talking to claimed that he has stored wine for two years just fine. I'd read up about current studies testing how well they currently keep and more over that typically white wine stores fine because it matures quicker and is usually drunk quicker over reds.
Not a long-term wine keeper, but I've noticed there are several grades of corks on the shelves over here, the most expensive marked for long conservation. Didn't pay much notice apart from remarking that there are different types of wine corks. If you want I could have a good look next time I pass that way. I see they also do plastic corks.
By the way, i use Belgian style beer corks, they're composite and very tough compared with wine corks. I'd expect my beer to last many years under these corks, but probably not 20 years.

Not a long-term wine keeper, but I've noticed there are several grades of corks on the shelves over here, the most expensive marked for long conservation. Didn't pay much notice apart from remarking that there are different types of wine corks. If you want I could have a good look next time I pass that way. I see they also do plastic corks.
By the way, i use Belgian style beer corks, they're composite and very tough compared with wine corks. I'd expect my beer to last many years under these corks, but probably not 20 years.
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind.

Back