Sugar v Carbonation drops,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arch41c

Reaction score
Been trying out the carbonation drops of late with my pilsener kits and I'm kinda disappointed in the harshness of the fizz.

Is this typical of the drops or am I being impatient in sampling? The latest pils is 7 weeks in the shed.

Ideally I'd like to keep the level of fizz, just softer/smaller bubbles

I kegged my wherry with sugar, loooooooovely pint and it's disappearing fast. Only been trying the drops in bottles

The norm is 5ml for lager etc, ale and ipa 2.5 ml normal sugar very small bubbles , I have used coopers drops before two to lager one to ale , bigger bubbles , some people swear by 1 1/2 drops per bottle as they are one for 325ml and two for 750 ml and we use 500ml ish . :)happy drinking . :D

Tony, I used 1 and a half drops for big 'hard' bubbles, would rather softer bubbles but the 'fizz' was right for lager

Please don't waste your time with drops,batch prime all day long for me.
I have tried both and would never return to fiddly drops :hat:
Just dump it in and a little stir and away you go.
6g for ale/hoppy beers. 8g for lagers

Cheers

I used them several times in the beginning and never noticed any problems. But after finding out how easy it is to batch prime, and the cost difference, I've been swayed.

I used them several times in the beginning and never noticed any problems. But after finding out how easy it is to batch prime, and the cost difference, I've been swayed.

Yea, I agree, I did the same. When you first start home brewing you just follow the instructions but after a while you start to adapt the kits to make it easier. Anyway its all good fun!

:party:

What do you guys mean by batch prime? So far I've kegged my brews but thinking of bottling some after the summer is over.

Batch prime is to chuck siphon out of the FV into another bucket (with a tap) in which you've already added enough sugar for all the bottle (40ishx 6-8g for ales).

Not saying the drops were a problem just wondering if that's what was causing the hard bubbles :)

I use both. I find the drops easy enough and a drop has adequet carbonation for a 500ml bottle of ale. Never had a problem with the drops, never had a problem batch priming. If kegging or if I want a particularly low or high level of carbonation, ill batch prime.

I bought some drops to try and im probably going to use them 1 per 500ml bottle of on the rocks raspberry and lime cider. Has anyone used them in cider before?

Weighing is much better than trying to measure, and those measurements seem way too light unless the desired carbonation level is almost nil. I doubt you'd get more than a few bubbles. That is unless this is only a couple of liters.

Latest posts

Back