sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caster's fine but why not just plain old granulated?
I would never use brewing sugar in any wine.

Thought I read somewhere to use the best quality sugar you could and plain sugar wasnt good enough????? or was that just for Beer???? or did I dream it???? :oops: anyway there is a bag of caster sugar going spare in the cupboard and didnt want to buy brewing sugar if that would do. :D

I did an Orange wurzel last weekend and used brewing sugar will this have an adverse effect on it :wha:

snail59 said:
I did an Orange wurzel last weekend and used brewing sugar will this have an adverse effect on it :wha:
It won't have any adverse effect but it's an expensive way of going about things and completely pointless.

Granulated or caster sugar is sucrose, before it can be fermented yeasties have to split that into glucose and fructose. Wine yeasties are good at this. Beer yeasties can be lazy barstewards and might prefer you to give them glucose in the first place.

Thanks Moley will not use brewing sugar in Wines in future. Ok of to the HBS to get some yeast and get this on the go.

Just think how much extra time you could spend brewing if you weren't helping out the stupid like ME :grin:

snail59 said:
Just think how much extra time you could spend brewing if you weren't helping out the stupid like ME :grin:

This morning, apart from clearing the kitchen; sterilising, rinsing and draining a dozen bottles; racking, de-gassing and fining 2gal of pink juice wines, I've also done 2 loads of laundry, dried, folded and put away the first load (any girlies reading this, don't get too excited, I've never managed to fathom out those hot, flat things); my straining bag, big funnel, DJs etc. are ready for straining that pear & plum from last weekend; bread's just gone in the oven for lunch and I've still got time to help out the stupid :lol:

Mind you, I was watching the Olympics in the small hours and did get up very early ;)

AND we got a medal! Well done that girl.
90mph headfirst downhill on a teatray, do winter sports get any more mental?

Back