Sultana and Golden Syrup Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimberry

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was clearing out the kitchen cupboard on Sunday and came across an old tin of Lyles golden syrup, was going to throw it out as it was best before Jan 2010 but then thought.......I'll try a wine with it.
The only other ingredient I had was a 500g bag of sultanas so after a look through my collection of antique winemaking books I did the following :-
Washed the sultanas in a colander under the hot tap to remove the oil on them
Gave them a wizz in a mini-blender then put them into a fine nylon filter bag and put that into a big saucepan with 2L water and simmered this for half an hour then drained the bag of sultanas and gave it a good squeeze to get all the juice out.
Added the golden syrup (550g) after first standing the open tin in hot water to get it flowing
Dissolved 450G of white sugar in the brew then let it cool.
Added this to a DJ then added 2tsp citric acid, 1tsp pectolase and a bit of strong tea, 1tsp Youngs super wine yeast compound; topped the DJ up to one gallon then poured some out into a sterilized milk carton and fitted airlocks to both.
The SG was 1.100
Both are bubbling away well today, I don't know how this will taste but I reckon its worth a go.
Anyone out there tried something similar ? if so, how did it go/taste ?

I've got a golden syrup notMead nearly ready to bottle. But it used a high tolerance yeast and has 4 cans of golden in it plus a little bit of black treacle, and until I racked it it had a couple of cloves, some ground cardomom, a bit of nutmeg, and a cinnamon stick too. And a few drops of vanilla extract. ...and a bit of tea for tannin and a little citric...
Taste off the siphon when I racked was pretty good, but I don't think the yeast has got the ABV as high as I'd hoped. Will be a nice xmas warmer whatever!

This is bubbling at 1 a second (I'm using a recently ebayed old cranked glass airlock, it's got a lovely pop..tone :0) and its got a hell of a Lava lamp going, almost hypnotic to watch......I must get out more often ;)
Thanks for replies

Wimberry said:
its got a hell of a Lava lamp going, almost hypnotic to watch......I must get out more often ;)

Strawberry wine generally gives an excellent laval lamp effect, too.

This has slowed a little now so i've topped it up with the milk carton must, it's still going great guns though but not quite as manic as a WOW.
I'm loving these old glass airlocks, although delicate they are a lot more musical than the plastic ones :D

Just as an an update; I racked this yesterday, it had an SG of 0.995, (approx 14%) and had a nice taste, I've moved it to the wine cellar (shed) for maturing but I may break into this during the festive season :D
All the Best

That was nice and quick then. How far off do you reckon it is? So have you brewed that completely out to dry or is is still slightly sweet?

Hi Jonny,
Tasted pretty dry to me, needs a bit of maturing though, it was a bit quick it went like hell for the first week a bit like an orange WOW.
All the best

Back