Switch between PID and SSR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan West

Reaction score
Hi guys, just planning my controller build..one part I want clarification on is having an on/off switch for the elements...

So the PID I have is an ITC100VL which has an SSR output...my question is can I run the Negative direct to the SSR and the Positive through a switch to turn off and on the elements...

Another prominant Youtuber uses a Relay version to do the same from a PSU but I just need to know if my SSR output version can be used in the same way as questioned above...or is there something about the SSR output that will not like going through a switch..

Thanks

You're talking about switching the control signal to the SSR right, not the mains?

If so, yes that will work, just observe the polarity on the relay.

If you're talking about switching the mains then no. Sure it will work but it can be dangerous and is best to switch your active

Hi guys, just planning my controller build..one part I want clarification on is having an on/off switch for the elements...

So the PID I have is an ITC100VL which has an SSR output...my question is can I run the Negative direct to the SSR and the Positive through a switch to turn off and on the elements...

Another prominant Youtuber uses a Relay version to do the same from a PSU but I just need to know if my SSR output version can be used in the same way as questioned above...or is there something about the SSR output that will not like going through a switch..

Thanks
There will be a common positive on the PID, just run that through an on/off switch in parallel with the SSR positive switched output. And as you’ve already said, permanent negative to the SSR.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.. Im reasonably knowledgeable about relays etc from my job but never designed or tried to understand control panels.. Enjoying learning.. Thanks

Back