The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kangaroo court? Michael Gove (Conservative) doesn't think so.

"I wouldn't describe the committee as a kangaroo court. Not at all. The critical thing I think is it's a properly constituted committee of the House of Commons with distinguished and experienced MPs on."

Johnson is behaving like a petulant oaf who has failed due to being too idle to find out the rules and procedures he is expected to work within (as Nadine Dorries has just discovered).

Kangaroo court? Michael Gove (Conservative) doesn't think so.

"I wouldn't describe the committee as a kangaroo court. Not at all. The critical thing I think is it's a properly constituted committee of the House of Commons with distinguished and experienced MPs on."

Johnson is behaving like a petulant oaf who has failed due to being too idle to find out the rules and procedures he is expected to work within (as Nadine Dorries has just discovered).
Respectfully acknowledge you message but disagree. Proper House of Commons committee to deal with something like this is wrong and just like using a supposedly respected civil servant who turns to be soneone other than that is also wrong. Of course we all know Michael Gove hates Boris

Chippy tea - He said he will be back, I think he will.

Dad of john - he did say hasta la vista baby, if he said "i'll be back" id be worried.

Chippy Tea - There are a few translations I took -
"Until the next time we see each other"
as being what Boris meant when he said it..

Clarence - Anybody who claims to "know" what Boris means when he says something really needs to think again! Sorry, Chippy.

Chippy Tea - Which bit of my earlier post did you not get?
I said there were several translations I chose "Until the next time we see each other" and I think we will see him again as we will no doubt see Donald Trump - I didn't say that is what he meant it was my interpretation.

Clarence - There is none of your earlier post that I didn't get. It wasn't very demanding, frankly.

Chippy Tea - It looks like it may have been more demanding than you first thought as i never said i "claim to know" what Boris meant as i said earlier i took "hasta la vista baby" to mean "Until the next time we see each other" (one of many translations) he was obviously goading the back stabbers in his party and i still think we will see him again.

Last edited:
When you join an organisation, whether it's the House of Commons or a local club, you agree to abide by the rules. Lying to the House is regarded as a serious offence and there's no doubt Johnson did so. The committee is not a court passing sentence, it investigates and makes recommendations. Note that 4 of its 7 members are Conservatives. Those recommendations are then debated and voted on by the House itself, which of course has a large Conservative majority. If found guilty by them, the result is that there'd be a byelection, at which he could stand. Instead, he chose to run away and throw insults around.

Regarding the increase in recommended punishment for further contempt, that's entirely in line with what happens in a court of law.

When you join an organisation, whether it's the House of Commons or a local club, you agree to abide by the rules. Lying to the House is regarded as a serious offence and there's no doubt Johnson did so. The committee is not a court passing sentence, it investigates and makes recommendations. Note that 4 of its 7 members are Conservatives. Those recommendations are then debated and voted on by the House itself, which of course has a large Conservative majority. If found guilty by them, the result is that there'd be a byelection, at which he could stand. Instead, he chose to run away and throw insults around.

Regarding the increase in recommended punishment for further contempt, that's entirely in line with what happens in a court of law.
There is doubt hence on balance of probabilities comment

If the Torties do get in again this will the most ridiculous thread. Politicians today are lacking amateurs. Fully expect the same from the Labour Party

It will show how low politics has got if Labour cannot beat this lot convincingly at the next GE.

Yes but how **** will the Labour Party be too; maybe even a new low?

Well it looks like we will find out in the not too distant future unless the Tories can pull a rabbit from the hat!

Joking aside if Labour get in and mess it up and are voted out in the next GE they may as well give up.
jjjjjjjure.JPG

Last edited:
Chippy Tea - It looks like it may have been more demanding than you first thought as i never said i "claim to know" what Boris meant as i said earlier i took "hasta la vista baby" to mean "Until the next time we see each other" (one of many translations) goading the back stabbers in his party and i still think we will.
Yes "take it to mean". What does "take it to mean" mean?
You're very touchy aren't you, Chippy. Don't like being challenged do you, and I've noticed this in other threads. Ideally I'd love to put you on my ignore list, but I can't do that with the forum censor. Shame.

Anyway. Here's something to give a bit of balance for Five Live listeners.
Which one is right, only time will tell. Of course we can't know that, but we might be given to understand that with the passage of time we might be able to draw safer conclusions.

In July 2021, Dawn Butler MP was thrown out of the Commons for uttering these words about Boris Johnson: "He has lied to this house – and the country – over and over again." It may have taken almost two years, but Butler has finally been vindicated.
In a powerful speech today, Labour MP Thangam Debbonaire was able to freely do what Dawn Butler could not. Debbonaire called Boris Johnson “a lawbreaker and a liar”, condemning not only the former PM but all of those in government too pathetic to stand up to him. She went on to say:
“Boris Johnson lied. He lied to MPs. He lied to the people of this country. He lied to doctors, nurses, care workers, bus drivers, everyone who was putting their own lives at risk during the pandemic.”
Because of the immensely damning report into Johnson’s partygate lies released today by the privileges committee, MPs can finally be honest in Parliament about who and what Boris Johnson really is. Though the former PM chose to flee rather than face the music, a clear line has been drawn under his shameful time in office.
The report describes a pathological liar with no regard for democratic norms and procedures. Committee members have finally put on paper what the majority of the public has suspected for years. They found that:

• Johnson lied to the House of Commons;
  • Johnson lied to the privileges committee;
  • Johnson “breached confidence” by leaking portions of the report to the press;
  • Johnson “impugned” the committee and the Parliamentary process;
  • Johnson was complicit in a “campaign of abuse and attempted intimidation” against the committee.
What matters most about today is not that Boris Johnson is gone but that he’s finally been condemned in the way that he always deserved. After he got away with so much, it’s gratifying to finally see basic standards applied to the man.
The committee’s recommended 90-day suspension is a clear message to those who would seek to repeat Johnson’s behaviour in future that justice will catch up with them, eventually.
For so long, he ran rampant, blustering and lying to escape the messes caused by his previous lies. Make no mistake, this is a major step forward for democratic accountability – it proves that we can hold our leaders accountable.
The next step must be to move all of Boris Johnson’s sycophants from the levers of power. Incredibly, many of them are today decrying this report as a political assassination. Remember, Sunak, Mogg, Truss, Braverman, Patel, and many others aided and abetted Johnson while he undermined our democracy with his lies.
It’s great to see some accountability for Johnson, albeit long overdue. But only a general election will deliver the opportunity to bring accountability to all those who facilitated Johnson's destructive regime. The sooner we can have one, the better. Then the work of fixing our institutions and building a vibrant democracy can begin in earnest.
All the best,
The Open Britain Team

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back