The Ploughman's Plus Challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
The Ploughman's Plus Challenge

graysalchemy and I (being the incorrigible foodies we are) have been chucking around the concept of what it would take to create a ploughman's lunch from scratch, like, *really* from scratch!

But why should we keep the fun (or silliness) to ourselves? So here is The Ploughman's Plus Challenge! Your opportunity to get a bit silly and create a Ploughman's Lunch (plus) getting as far back to basics as you can and take the title of "THBF Ploughman".

Ploughman's Lunch Plus?

Well, a traditional Ploughman's of beer, bread and cheese didn't seem like enough of a challenge so we've added some other bits that you would commonly find in a pub Ploughman's nowadays.

Your Lunch must have the following seven components:

- Bread (traditional British styles)
- Cheese (any traditional British style, blues score highest, then hards, then cottage and similar)
- Ham (any traditional British style cure, boiled and/or roast)
- Pork Pie (ideally a style similar to a Melton Mowbray)
- Picked onion or egg
- Pickle or chutney
- Beer (again, traditional styles so avoid APAs, Belgians, lagers etc. We want Bitters, Milds, Porters, 70/-, 80/-, Stouts etc.)

Points are awarded for the rawness of ingredients used in each component - effectively the amount of effort you've had to put in to make it!

Expect deductions for items not really in a traditional British style.

For example if you brewed a cider and made vinegar from it to pickle your home grown onions then you will score higher than if you buy the onions and vinegar to make them...

The basics are that a shop bought item scores zero, a missing item scores -2 (just to stop random entries of a single pork pie or pint of beer) and the points available rack up depending on just how far you go towards "from scratch".

There are also discretionary points available for efforts not covered in the basic score card.

Of course photos of the growing/foraging/making of the components of your Lunch are positively encouraged and will likely result in higher discretionary points...

As with everything like this, it's just for fun, just to push the boundaries - I really want someone to go and milk a cow by hand to make their cheese!!! :lol: Please be honest, don't go claiming that your Taste the Difference Melton Mowbray is actually your own hand-raised hot-water pastry pork pie.

Judging is, as per The Feck Test, pretty subjective and will be carried out by grays or me (or anyone else we deem pedantic enough!) and is final. If we declare a new "THBF Ploughman", then the new "THBF Ploughman" is declared and that's that.

Only a positive score of 1 or greater can be awarded the title, so forget the early opening attempts of photos of empty plates or a single slice of half-chewed ham from your sandwich...

The score card can be downloaded from here.

Now, before anyone says that the beer judging is unfair because it automatically gives more points to AG brewers, tough. AG brewing takes more effort and uses rawer ingredients and that's the whole point of the challenge. Want those extra points? Check out the Back to Basics threads to see how easy it is to make a small batch of AG beer with nothing more than standard kitchen equipment.

Yoke the Clydesdales, turn the sod, make lunch!

Who's going to be the first THBF Ploughman?!?!?

So far I can make 5 out of the 7.

Pork pie and Ham yet to have a go at. :hmm: :hmm:

I made a pork pie once, always vowed to never do it again so I guess I'm out.

The hot water pastry is a pain, loads of work for something you're not even supposed to eat. Easy to see why commercially made pork pies have been so succesful, possibly the first convenience ready meal?

I may loose points on the stilton, i would make them back on the pig however! Do you want pictures of it being 'dispatched' or just the end result :)

:nono: :nono: :nono:

I think on account of your 'unfair advantage' in the pig department you need to raise the pig as well...............

No buts thems the rules. :whistle:

To be honest me entering would be a bit unfair.

Dont fancy rearing a pig either, its harder to gack them when you have rubbed it behind the ears.

evanvine said:
I presume making your own butter will attract points.
As for being pedantic.......................... :whistle:

Depends if you want butter on your bread :whistle: .

However I did look into it yesterday and found an article in the Guardian about butter making. The recipe said you needed 4 pints of double cream to make 1lb of butter :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I won't serve butter with mine the stilton will be creamy enough :lol: :lol:

evanvine said:
I presume making your own butter will attract points.
As for being pedantic.......................... :whistle:

Butter - yup.

And ooh, yeah, there's our backup pedant GA! :lol:

sam.k said:
I may loose points on the stilton, i would make them back on the pig however! Do you want pictures of it being 'dispatched' or just the end result :)

Actually, the butchery bit would be interesting... but maybe not to all. I would counsel not going back beyond the already-butchered cut that will go into the pie in the interests of well, you know... :thumb:

Just researching growing Black Pepper Vines in the UK. It is possible :party: :party:

if your interested in the butchery element I will do a thread on it and put a disclaimer at the beginning. if I am honest people tend not to get to bothered unless the critter still has its head, I can chop that off before the pictures if it bothers anyone.

as I said I am ducking out of the challenge as I make ham and pork pies at a commercial level I could obviously get my hands on ingredients that the public don't have access to, it would be a bit cheaty.

I look forward to seeing peoples produce though and I would be happy to answer questions regarding the piggy bit if anyone wants to go a bit further then buying it ready to cook.

Back