This doesn't look right :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim1975

Reaction score
Hi, Did a Muntons Lager kit and used 2 x saflager23 and have had in the Fermentation fridge at 13 degs for the past 7 days and it looks like this, I have removed the Krausen collar so the stuff round the edge has gone:

Smells nice but what is going on with the foam, it hasn't subsided and that looks like yeast on top. I was going to leave it for 3 weeks in the fridge but if you guys say it looks like a gonner I will chuck it and start again. Thought?

It's just co2 clinging to the yeast and making it float. I think. Doesn't look much like an infection to me.

What readings do you have?

Are you doing a Dicetyl (Sp) rest Tim? If it were me I'd be checking where you attenuation is around 10 day mark to try to get your timings right as have read you need to do it before full attenuated. (Sorry if I'm telling you to suck eggs) So around 1.020ish and raise the temp for a couple of days before lagering.

Are you doing a Dicetyl (Sp) rest Tim? If it were me I'd be checking where you attenuation is around 10 day mark to try to get your timings right as have read you need to do it before full attenuated. (Sorry if I'm telling you to suck eggs) So around 1.020ish and raise the temp for a couple of days before lagering.

Yes, I'll be raising the temps to 18 degrees late this week and will do my hop addition a day before as well. I'm new to all of this so reminding me is a good idea so thank you!

I agree with everyone else. That's just floating clumps of yeast. I'd say the floating foam just indicates that you've made a beer that's going to have a good head on it.
I've had brews like this. I've also had brews covered in white scum which were more of a worry, but at bottling the beer tasted fine and stayed that way too. It's your taste buds that are the true indicator of whether there's a problem or not.

I tried some tonight and dry hopped, it tastes bloody amazing so nothing wrong with this batch!! Thanks for waylaying my fears, this will be a cracking lager when it's finally done!

Latest posts

Back