Thoughts on my first recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotstar

Reaction score
After brewing the cinncinatti Pale Ale recipe in John Palmers how to brew book (I found it a bit bland for my tastes) I have tried to brew one of my own, going for a hoppy IPA but I may have over hopped the pudding as I am still getting to grips with utilisation and IBU etc.

2 Kg Pale dry extract
1.5 Amber liquid extract

28g Chinook (12.4%) 60 mins
28g Centennial (11%) 45 mins
7g Centennial (11%) 15 mins
7g Cascade (7.9%) 5 mins

BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Also I was thinking of dry hopping but I only have pellets. Can pellets be used for dry hopping?

Cheers,
Matt.

Reduce the bittering hops (60min) and move the 45 min addition later on (30-20m). Add a couple of 25g additions in the last 15 min to bring some hop flavour in. I would suggest adding a quarter of the total hops (max) in the 60 min addition. One of the local breweries here chuck in 3/4 of their hops after the boil is off (steep and several dry hop additions). Definitive yes to dry hopping with pellets!

Regarding malts, the 1.5kg of amber LME can make it quite malty and dark. It's up to you, but I'd pump up the light to 3kg and add just 0.5kg of amber.

Just a quick suggestion for ~5% abv, ~48 IBU:

3.5kg light LME, 0.5kg amber LME.

Hops:
60 - 30g Chinook
15 - 25g Centennial, 25g Cascade
5 - 20g Centennial, 20g Cascade, 20g Chinook
dry hop - 50g Cascade, 30g Chinook

Tried a taste of the recipe I posted. Took Karanka's advice and put a lot of dry hops in there but I was hoping for more of an ipa bitter twang as you might get in punk ipa, goose island ipa, Sierra Nevada celebration (obviously not expecting anything near that standard). My beer has enough bitterness in the after taste so I would what anymore bitterness there. Can anyone advise me on how you go about creating that type of hoppiness in beers with hop schedules and/or dry hopping.

Back