To drink or not to drink, that is the question....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
So I've finally got 'round to sorting out/clearing/making some space in the garage, it's only been 2 and half years since we moved here, but I am at last able to see the garage floor! :thumb: :lol:

Anyway whilst making a big pile of half empty paint tins I came across 4 various bottles of long forgotten beer bottles......all unopended. :shock:

1. Hook Norton 50th Anniversary VE 1945 - 1995 Strong Ale 5.5%, this belonged to my Dad, and when he passed away in 2001 I remember finding this bottle in the 'beer' cupboard, best before date is Dec 1995.

2.Wm Younger's No.3 Traditional Ale 4.5%, best before is Feb '97.

3.McEweans 90/- Ninety Shilling 5.5%, best before as above, I love the motto at the top of the labels TO COPY IT IS FORGERY !! From memory both these bottles were presents which for some strange reason remained unopened. :nono:

4.Traquair House Ale 7.2 %, best before 2003, this I remember buying whilst visiting Traquair House in Peebelshire, I'm not really a fan of overly strong ales, so probably decided to keep as a souvenier of my trip to Scotland.

I've posted a photo of the 4 brews, so what do the wise men (& women) of THBF think? to open or not to open?, to drink or not to drink? :hmm:

:cheers:

2rmox7k.jpg

dennisking said:
Open, it would be a shame if they went off.

I'd imagine the Traquair ale has the best sporting chance of being drinkable as it has a higher abv :?:

I'd drink them mate, the Traquir will be fine. The others might not taste that great but I doubt they would make you ill. If it tastes unpleasant, chuck it and use the bottle for your own!

andybrew said:
i'd leave them a few more months to make sure there properly conditioned

:cheers:

Yeah, you could be right, best wait to 2015 just to be on the safe side. ;)

Back