to sell or not to sell.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

i'm at a crossroads.... I've not brewed for well over a year, we moved, have a young boy and life has really just gotten in the way of brewing

I'm not at a point where I could probably get back brewing but since we moved and I dismantled my bar I've just had the motivation to do it. I don't know whether to just stick the kit in the loft or sell it.

Being as i'm out of the loop with brewing. Could anyone advise what I'd like get for:
65ltr Hopcat AIO brewing setup: 65L Hopcat Mk3 Mega - "Brewzilla Killer" | hopcat
65ltr Digiboil: DigiBoil 65L Digital Turbo Boiler - DigiBoil @ The Home Brewery
then there's obviously corny kegs and other bits and pieces. Think I've got 4 corny kegs and a mini keg (which I used to use to clean lines)

What's 2nd hand stuff going for these day... I think circa £500/£600 is fair... or isn't the demand there anymore now we're out of lockdowns etc.

Sounds like a great set up and a fair price, but you might well get more splitting it up and selling the bits.

I'd personally hold onto it if you have the room - my kids are 6 and 8 now and I have loads more time again compared to when the were little, that said I don't brew as much as I'd like, but that is more as I'm not getting through it fast enough lately - thus summer just not had time to be social at our house and blitz the beers!

If selling individually then I would look at half what you paid, do a deal for the bundle. Issue is this all depends on where you live and peoples willingness to travel, postage might be difficult.

Personally I will hold on, I was in the same boat as you, moved house with young kids. THings will settle down and the cost of beer is only going up.

lol good feedback all. And you're right in terms of the keep it thing I think. I'll stick it in the loft.

I have other hobbies so it's not so much that i'm losing a hobby it's more we're drinking alot less these days But you're right. Worth keeping I suppose and see what the coming years bring

I've been drinking a lot less as well and an added benefit of this has been allowing me to let my beers to clear and mature for a decent amout of time before tapping them; something which never used to happen!

So for me, it's more about brewing when time allows and when I want to, rather than 'through necessity' when stocks are getting low. Never got enough cornies though!

I've been drinking a lot less as well and an added benefit of this has been allowing me to let my beers to clear and mature for a decent amout of time before tapping them; something which never used to happen!

So for me, it's more about brewing when time allows and when I want to, rather than 'through necessity' when stocks are getting low. Never got enough cornies though!

yeah I think I need to possibly look at the hobby differently.

When I got into it, I could pretty much brew when I wanted. I'd build a bar that had 6 taps, a keezer that could hold 10 cornies and had room to store more... so I could (and did) get carried away.

Now, we're converting the garage into a utility room. My shed is used as a workshop and where my 3d printers live (don't want to brew in there with that smell!) and we're a way off building a new garage. So you're probably right. Stick the lot in the loft, wait till the new garage is built and get it all out as and when (perhaps even 3-4 times a year) do a brew and leave it alone.

being a 60ltr kit means 1 brew day will keep me in stock for ages.

I'm not Sure its worth selling kit. With all the new shiny all in one systems hitting the market everyone seems to be buying new. I recently picked up an SS Brewtech and Blackman complete 80 litre 3v system and all the required accessories for a steal and alot less than an equivalent all in one system...the person I bought it from spent five times as much on their new replacement Brewtools setup.

I would keep the kit a bit longer. I did not brew anything for a year myself, but it was nice to know that my stuff was there when I wanted to do it again. I am not a big drinker but enjoy the process of making, so to think I had to buy it all again when I had chance to put a kit on would have stopped me for good. I am glad that I kept mine and would advise keeping yours a little longer, as like mentioned kids grow up fast and we all need our own escape from it all.

Not quite the same but 2 young boys mean I can't do AG - given the time required - so I do kit. Maybe try that and sell only the AG specific stuff?

Latest posts

Back