Tongue In Yer Ear - Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
Posting this one for those looking for an easy to drink, sessionable, golden ale. Could probably even get a lager drinker to drink this.

Based on a brew house efficiency of 75%

OG: 1.043. Colour: 8.9 EBC. Bitterness: 38.4 IBUs . Batch size: 14 Litres.

Mash: BIAB full volume. 90 minutes @ 67 degrees C. Mash out for 15 minutes at 75.6 degrees C (rising over 25 minutes).

1200g Minch Hook Head Irish Pale Malt 4.2 EBC
700g Munich Malt 10.8 EBC
400g Crisp Pale Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC
200g Cara-Pils 3.9 EBC
100g Golden naked oats 18 EBC

Boil 70 minutes

@ 70 minutes 4g Admiral hop pellets 14.1% AA
@ 15 minutes 35g Jester whole hops 7.76% AA
@ 10 minutes 1/4 Protafloc
@ 5 minutes 1 tspn Tronozymol yeast nutrient

Transfer to FV, after cooling, with plenty of splashing.

Pitch at 28 degrees C with 10mls Sigmund's Voss Kveik yeast slurry. Ferment starting at 28 degrees C, allowing to drop to around 2o degrees C naturally as the yeast finishes it's work (in other words, no temp control, room temperature in a centrally heated house).

Flavour is lightly hoppy, with a hint of orange, almost lager like, but a nice lager.

IMG_20181222_192718.jpg

Addendum: IF you are thinking of brewing this, but are sensitive to onion flavours from hops, DON'T! My wife still like it, however I can't drink it any more, as the "onion, earth and jalapeno flavours" that some folks taste with Jester are now VERY apparent to me, and no I don't like these at all in my beer.... lmao

The rest of the Jester hops have gone in the bin, as I'm 0 for 2 with them now.... :laugh8:

Back